Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

DJ or band--DILEMMA!!

Hi! My wedding is 8 months out and I am STILL having trouble deciding between a band or a dj.  I don't know if the extra cost difference is worth it for a band or not.  To be honest, I haven't seen many bands who were great so far that were in my 3,600 price.  So, do you think a top quality DJ is better then a mediorre band?  I want an elegant wedding so I'm worried a DJ will tone the elegance down?  Others tell me that If you get a top quality DJ for that price, they can also deliver an elegant event if you tell them the proper music to play. Please help!!!

Re: DJ or band--DILEMMA!!

• Options
     n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_dj-or-band-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:107a208d-c880-4efc-91a7-a2cc70277f72Post:f22fe2e7-909b-4c40-a2a4-ef0d9690fdde">DJ or band--DILEMMA!!</a>:

IHi Dilemma!!
      That is definitely a big concern. What are your worries?
    The type of music played?
    How to make the  flow from the cocktail to dinner to dancing?
    How many guests?
    How large is the room where you need your artist?
    What type of atmosphere?
    I'm sure there are more concerns and questions that you have, as  I personally have been a professional Disc Jockey for 30 years I may be able to help answers the questions you have.
    <a href="http://djjackbarros.com" rel="nofollow">http://djjackbarros.com</a>

[QUOTE]Hi! My wedding is 8 months out and I am STILL having trouble deciding between a band or a dj.  I don't know if the extra cost difference is worth it for a band or not.  To be honest, I haven't seen many bands who were great so far that were in my 3,600 price.  So, do you think a top quality DJ is better then a mediorre band?  I want an elegant wedding so I'm worried a DJ will tone the elegance down?  Others tell me that If you get a top quality DJ for that price, they can also deliver an elegant event if you tell them the proper music to play. Please help!!!
    Posted by glamorous0813[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    My apologies as a vendor I am not supposed to post. Please ignore
  • Options
    I haven't been to a wedding with a live band. I think it could be really difficult to find a band that plays a variety of great upbeat music to keep the party going. Is that something you're going for - dance party all night? What are your families like? Do they dance to anything or more so like to groove from their seat? I like popular music and would want to dance to the original music, even if they aren't live - I think a great DJ could do the trick.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_dj-or-band-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:107a208d-c880-4efc-91a7-a2cc70277f72Post:f22fe2e7-909b-4c40-a2a4-ef0d9690fdde">DJ or band--DILEMMA!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi! My wedding is 8 months out and I am STILL having trouble deciding between a band or a dj.  I don't know if the extra cost difference is worth it for a band or not.  To be honest, I haven't seen many bands who were great so far that were in my 3,600 price.  <strong>So, do you think a top quality DJ is better then a mediorre band?</strong>  I want an elegant wedding so I'm worried a DJ will tone the elegance down?  Others tell me that If you get a top quality DJ for that price, they can also deliver an elegant event if you tell them the proper music to play. Please help!!!
    Posted by glamorous0813[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!  Music is a big party of a wedding, and if it's mediocre, people will notice.  Go with the top quality DJ.  You can still have an elegant wedding with a DJ.
  • Options
    OMG  Ask yourself this.  Do you like live concernts or attending plays?  There is nothing like a live band.  Anyone can have a D.J., as a matter of fact if you're going to spend $500 on one vs. probably $300 more for 5-6 musicians, you might as well just get an IPOD mixer for $150 put a playlist together.  Just my humble opinion.

Go on gigmaster's website.  They have bands listing for any city and it's very reliable.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_dj-or-band-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:107a208d-c880-4efc-91a7-a2cc70277f72Post:a0d18635-b2a6-4479-bea6-bc7c37a17175">Re: DJ or band--DILEMMA!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG  Ask yourself this.  Do you like live concernts or attending plays?  There is nothing like a live band.  Anyone can have a D.J., as a matter of fact if you're going to spend $500 on one vs. probably $300 more for 5-6 musicians, you might as well just get an IPOD mixer for $150 put a playlist together.  Just my humble opinion. Go on gigmaster's website.  They have bands listing for any city and it's very reliable.
    Posted by kisskiss30[/QUOTE]

LOL.  Never seen a band for just $300 more than a DJ.   And with your numbers that'd be $800.  That is incredibly low and unheard of, at least in NJ.

Personally, I love live concerts....but by the actual performers themselves, not someone that covers their song. Most people select a DJ because they can play a wider variety of music by the actual artists for thousands of dollars less. 
  • Options
    We definitely went back and forth on this as well!! We ultiamately decided DJ, so I'm a little biased.

In my experience, DJ = generally more dancing; if you get a good DJ they will respond to the night's energy and atmosphere and keep the party going at a decent pace all night. Also it was sort of important to me to have the "first dance" and other special songs be the performers I want, not a cover.

However, it's true that a band can be more "elegant," if you can get the right band. If you ARE a live music buff, you might want that experience. It sounds like you haven't seen any bands that really caught your fancy and you think would be worth the extra $$. (I've also never found a band for just $300 more than a DJ....)

I still vote DJ, but you and your FI need to just make a list of what's important to you in reception music and see what's a better fit!! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• Options
    DJ all day, everyday. Think about it, a band can only play so much. They are limited by their 4 instruments. A dj can play band music and anything else. 

Get more variety and a good DJ has quality speakers.
  • Options

I personally find a band to be more elegant. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards