Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

I desperately need help finding a good song to dance to with my dad!

I cannot find a song that fits for me and my dad! My dad is into Neil Young, Cat Stevens, the beatles, and music from that generation. (he was born in 1963) I want to find a song that he knows not just a random song. I hate country music and so does my father, but that seems to be all that there is out there! We can't seem to find the right song because in all of the popular father daughter songs there is always a phrase that talks about being a "lover" not father daughter love. My dad and I are close, but we aren't all mushy like most of the suggested songs out there. The song could even be about life and growing up, not just father daughter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Pleasee helppp!!!

Re: I desperately need help finding a good song to dance to with my dad!

• Options
    readytogo10readytogo10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about Louis Armstrong What a Wonderful World?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I too am looking for a good song to dance too. I would like a song that has meaning of looking up to my father or thanking him for being my supporter. I have had a horrible time.
  • Options
    Robyn5298Robyn5298 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Have you considered "If You Want to Sing Out" by Cat Stevens? It's a really sweet song that doesn't have any lyrics about romantic love. "In My Life" by the Beatles is a popular parent dance choice too.
  • Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Blackbird by the Beatles 

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
    Take these broken wings and learn to fly
    All your life
    You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Black bird singing in the dead of night
    Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
    all your life
    you were only waiting for this moment to be free

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
    Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
    Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
    Take these broken wings and learn to fly
    All your life
    You were only waiting for this moment to arise,
    You were only waiting for this moment to arise,
    You were only waiting for this moment to arise

NOTE:  STILL UNDER TRADEMARK. 
  • Options
    Thea519Thea519 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_desperately-need-finding-good-song-dance-dad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:1f67d9af-794c-440b-b968-42722465b38ePost:1cc70bd1-58cc-4748-ab32-a2fdbc1e5290">Re: I desperately need help finding a good song to dance to with my dad!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you considered "If You Want to Sing Out" by Cat Stevens? It's a really sweet song that doesn't have any lyrics about romantic love. "In My Life" by the Beatles is a popular parent dance choice too.
    Posted by Robyn5298[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, if he likes The Beatles, "In My Life" is totally the way to go. It's a beautiful song. </div><div>
    </div><div>Something by The Beach Boys would be nice, as well.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    'Forever Young' by Rod Stewart is a great song, and the lyrics are fitting.  So is 'Isn't She Lovely' by Stevie Wonder. 

For my father / daughter dance, we are using 'Isn't She Lovely', but we are playing the first 2 choruses as opposed to all 3 (the third really isn't relevant).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra is very timeless and sweet. I love Frank Sinatra so I was actually thinking of it for a first dance song, but if you listen to the lyrics its much better suited for a Father/Daughter dance. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is there no song with a memory attached to it for the both of you? Everyone wants "sweet" songs that don't have much of a meaning to the people themselves other than nice lyrics. I'm not meaning every song is acceptable but if I have to hear "butterfly kisses" again I might as well go put rusty spoons in my ears.

If you are interested in Beatles but want it a bit more "up to date" check out the soundtrack to I Am Sam.  All Bealtes songs covered by wonderful artists such as  Aimee Mann (two of us), Ben Folds, Sarah McLachlan (black bird), Eddie Vedder, Ben Harper, Howie Day, Wallflowers, Rufus Wainwright, Sheryl Crow and several others.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My dad is a HUGE Beatles fan and from the start I've wanted to do one of their songs bc that's what i grew up listening to with my dad. Unfortunately, the song he used to play for me all the time on his guitar that I loved was Day Tripper.... not really wedding day appropriate as its about a hooker =/  I think we've settled on Blackbird, but we were considering In My Life for a while. It just didn't scream out father/daughter to us at all. According to my dad it has way more of a "lovers" vibe, and according to my FI it's saying that in my life i'll always love my dad more than anyone else, including my new husband?? He wasn't diggin' it. There's another song that I fell in love with but my dad not so much as it is very "Bob Dylan" sounding, it's called Daughter by Loudon Wainright III. It's cute :) 

Good luck!
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    briannab89briannab89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions! My dad and I have a few songs that have meaning to us, but how can I make "when I'm 64" by the beatles a wedding day song? lol many of the songs are just songs that we would listen to together that weren't necessarily wedding appropriate. I'll have to check out the on by Cat Stevens and Black bird by the beatles, I don't think I've ever heard them. Thanks again everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards