Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

How can I incorporate this song?

I know that traditionally the only song for any of the moms during a wedding would be during the mother/son dance. But I would really love to find a way to incorporate 'The Best Day' by Taylor Swift for my mother. It is a song that describes our relationship through my life perfectly, and my very sentimental mom cries every time that she hears it.

My only idea so far is a slideshow of FI and I growing up done to this song. But I don't want to bore all of the guests. Any ideas of when I could do this, or a certain way I could do it so that it doesn't bore everyone? It would just be for the length of this one song, I've thought about maybe at the end of the cocktail hour or while people or eating dinner, but I'm not sure. I've seen it done while people wait for the ceremony to start, but ours will be outdoors so that isn't an option.

Any ideas/opinions?

Re: How can I incorporate this song?

• Options
    lucky10lizlucky10liz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Play it at your reception and have a special dance with your mom! There aren't any rules that say you can't have a special moment with you mom, and I'm sure she would love to have that memory!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, you could dance with your mom to it.  Just try to avoid having too many sit-and-watch dances, where only 2 people dance and the rest of the guests "watch" (read: get bored and restless).

I wouldn't mind sitting through a 3-minute slideshow of your life/lives with one song.  Just don't turn it into a 10-15 minute production, that would be boring. You could do it during speech time or after the salad course.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP. We are doing a slideshow but making it 5 min. tops. Every wedding I've gone to has had one and I honestly really enjoy them.

You could start out doing this dance with your mom and then partway through have the DJ ask other guests to join you on the dance floor if you are concerned about too many sit-and-watch dances.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A three minute slideshow during dinner is fine!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    lilcasserslilcassers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also have the same dilemma since my mom is walking me but I find it akward to dance with a lady even though she is my mom, lol. I think I am going to have a special section in my slideshow with pics of just my mom and I and I will have that new song by Carrie Underwood on it where she talks about her mom giving her away. It's so precious.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mhickey426mhickey426 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my parents are divorced and i was raised by my mom.  We did all of the traditional parent dances including one with my stepfather.  later during the night i surprised my mom with a dance.  She had no clue.  I felt it was the right thing to do since she raised me and i wouldnt be who i am today with out her.  For half of the song it was just the 2 of us and then we welcomed guests out to dance with someone important to them.  My husband joined me and my mom and it was such a beautiful moment.  I played Because you loved me by celine dion.  I say go for it but surprise her.  Everyone said how beautiful it was and it made my mom so happy. She said it was the nicest thing i could have ever done for her/
    Anniversary Lilypie Maternity tickers image due, March 15
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love this song as well! I'm planning on using this song in a slide show during my rehearsal dinner, since my rehearsal dinner will only include members of the bridal party, family, and close friends.
  • Options
    katheriner89katheriner89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not having a father/daughter dance, i cant stand my father. My grandfather is walking me down, and my "dance" will be with my mother- I'm not going to find a man to dance with just because he's a man. my mom means the world to me, she's always been there for me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure your guests would be able to cope with a three min slide show :) and its a really nice idea

Jennie x
  • Options
    myfeverplaysmyfeverplays member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are having a DJ you coul always have him announce that the bride is dedicating a song to her Mom & all Moms in attendance and invite all Moms to the floor to dance where you could dance with your Mom but other guests are included as well.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards