Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Music for memorial to father during wedding

So this is going to be a weird question (I figured I should warn you up front.)

My father was in the military, and he died in a plane crash when I was 13.  I want to do a memorial to him as part of my wedding ceremony becuase we were very close.  I will be entering through the side door of the church, at the back of the sanctuary, and want to have a table set up that is even with the center aisle.  On the table will be an unlit white taper candle, my bridal bouquet, and my dad's helmet.  When I enter, I will be carrying the small flag that I was given at his memorial service.  I will hand the flag to my mother (who will be walking me down the aisle), and light the white candle.  She will then place the flag on the table and hand me my bouquet.  My problem is what music I should have when this is happening.  I don't want the bridal march to play while I am doing this, I want that to start when I turn to walk down the aisle.  My intial thought (which I also initially recoiled from, but grew on me the more I thought about it) was to have TAPS play.  Then, I looked up the lyrics and the third and fifth verses jumped out.  My sister, who is my matron of honor, has a lovely alto singing voice, so I am now thinking that I want to see if she would be willing to  sing the third and fifth verse as I enter and light the candle and then ask the people to rise for the bridal march.  I would like to have the back set up so that I would not be seen until I reach the table at the center of the sanctuary.

I know that my first thought was "that will make me cry" but, in my opinion weddings are supposed to be emotional.

I just wanted to get everyone's opinions on this.

Thanks!

Kristin
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Music for memorial to father during wedding

• Options
    I'm a MOB who just retired from the military.  In all honesty, I think this is a bit over the top.  A wedding is not a memorial service and you seem to be turning your procession into one.  The last thing done at military funerals is TAPS.  It is also done at Memorial Day services.

I encourage you to carry something special of your father's and not do such a public memorial.  Both of my Dad's were retired military (go figure!) and I kept anything special I did for my real dad private and with me as a way to be close to him.

I mean this with the best of intentions, but I really think your guests will be quite thrown off with all of that, especially TAPS.  It seems like a memorial service instead of a joyous wedding.
  • Options
    KMSchwabKMSchwab member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Thank you very much!  That was my concern, that is why I wanted to get someone outside's opinion.  I definitly want to still light the candle, but I am not sure if I should have music playing or not, and if so what music.  Do you have any thoughts as far as that goes?  Another thought I had would be to cue the song Butterfly Kisses to the wedding part while I am lighting the candle.  Do you think that would be more appropriate?

Thank you very much for your help!

Kristin

EDIT - On second look, Buttefly Kisses would not work at all.
  • Options
    Kristen, I am so glad my post was well received.  I was worried it might have sounded a bit harsh.

Again, just being honest here - just light the candle to whatever music is playing and let it be.  The candle is your nod to your father's memory and I think adding special music to it will be a bit heavy.  

My parents died when I was little and I have married daughters.  If I were your dad, I am "guessing" he would want you to have fun, upbeat music and to have the most perfect day possible.  That is an awesome way to respect his memory!!
  • Options
    I think I will do that then.  Thank you very much for your advice ^_^

Kristin
  • Options
    You are quite welcome!  FYI - you are getting married the day after my anniversary.  I have found October to be quite lucky for almost 16 years now.  Best of luck to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards