Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

The first dance

I'm a little confused about the first dance. I've always assumed the bride and groom just slow dance to "their" song.

Why do people take lessons and stuff like that? Is it supposed to be more than slow dancing?

I tried to look it up online, but all I could find were youtube videos of crazy dances.
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: The first dance

• Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think along time ago it was about the couple picking their song and just dancing to it. But now a days people don't really have an "Our" song (not always the case). So they pick a song they both might like. A lot of people take lessons because they want to be "perfect" when dancing in front of everyone. Or some people select a certain dance (ie, the Tango) to dance to and need to learn how to dance to it. It's only supposed to be more than slow dancing if you want it to be. A lot of people are doing funky dances now a days.

• Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    FI and I are going to take dance lessons for our first dance.  It's something we've always wanted to do and our song is one that you can't just slow dance to.  We aren't necessarily doing it to 'wow' our guests or anything like that, but I love that we'll have a personalized dance to our song that we can dance to all the time, not just for the wedding.

I think it's a very personal thing though and there is no right or wrong way to do it.  It's not 'supposed' to be anything more than you and your husband dancing together for the first time as husband and wife.  If a slow dance is more special to you, then do a slow dance.  If you want to learn a dance (and if you both want to learn one, not one forcing the other to do it) then that's okay too.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards