Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

DJ Communication...

What has your DJ experience been?

We have paid a DJ a deposit for the wedding but haven't heard from them since (that was 5 months ago). Our wedding is now one month away and I finally called them and asked if we could set up a time to meet and discuss the details of our event. He told me that they typically call the week of the wedding and most questions could be answered over the phone during that time. I'm hesitate to send a check for the remaining balance. What has been your experience. Is this typical for a DJ service?

Re: DJ Communication...

• Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would call them and say you don't want to send a cheque until you are able to meet in person and finalize the details.  Tell them that the week before the wedding is very busy with other last-minute things and you won't have time, and that you want to do it sooner.  I expect they will be able to accomodate you.

Are there reviews for this DJ or do you know anyone else who has used them?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I booked my DJ about 6 mo prior to the wedding and he checked in a few months later just to make sure I didn't have any questions. I plan to get back in touch when we're about 1 month from the wedding to go over the final details. Our meeting will be over the phone because I'm planning from OOT, but if I were near him, I would meet in person as our final meeting. it is reasonable for you to request a final meeting 2-4 weeks away from the event and not give payment until you do-so. The week of the wedding is really unreasonable to me because you will be very busy. Just call him and say " I appreciate you trying to save me time by offering to answer questions over the phone, but would really prefer to meet in person on x-date" . GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My father is a DJ and he will usually meet with the couple before they sign a contract to make sure that they are going to be the right fit for each other.  After the contract is signed he gives the couple a questionnare to fill out describing any specific songs they would like, what style they want, and what songs they want for the formal dances.  The questionnare can be turned in at any time up until two weeks before the wedding.  But if a bride has questions in between that time, it would be up to her to call and he would take care of whatever she needed.  I would say that if you have doubts make it clear to your DJ that you would prefer to have a sit-down meeting and he should accomodate you.  It would be poor customer service to let one of his brides worry about something that could be taken care of in an hour meeting...especially something as important as your music. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a DJ and that sounds pretty reasonable.  It is actually pretty much the best way for them to organize everything because things change so much before the wedding.  It sounds like they were a little short with you and should've explained it to you better.  If my clients want to do it a month before then that is what I do.  You should have the final say for sure. 

Good luck!

www.allaroundraleighdj.com
    http://allaroundraleighdj.blogspot.com/
    Eric www.AllAroundRaleighDJ.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards