Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Is it tacky to....

I am having an evening wedding it's at 6:00 so it is formal.. Is it tacky for the ceremony music i just play music off of a cd that i make?? I have all my songs picked but i just really don't want to add singers or music instruments to my budget...

Re: Is it tacky to....

• kristine0613kristine0613 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thats what I am doing..I dont want to hire someone to do that I'm just having a family member press play when its time =)
  • edited December 2011
    not tacky at all. 
  • edited December 2011
    Nope. A lot of brides are choosing to do this these days to keep costs down. Another option is loading up your Ipod and letting it go throughout the night.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think so, but I may be biased since I am just using my iPod. We aren't big dancers, so I wanted to save the money on a DJ and spend it on something important to me, like pictures :)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

yeah i havn't decided on if i was using a cd or a ipod yet..THANKS  for the help

• edited December 2011
    Definitely not, I am loading my music up on the mp3 player and letting it go all night...it will cover both the ceremony and the reception.
  • edited December 2011

I'm late on this, but I did want to respond. IMO, this is not tacky when done right, but when done wrong, it can be quite the disaster.

Of the last two weddings I've been to, one used a CD in a small, boombox-style player for the ceremony and the other used an iPod hooked up to a remote control stereo system. Both went bad.

The first was alright, except she had her older relative in charge of the music and he had no idea how to turn the CD player off, so it was fast-forwarded, rewound, etc a couple of times before he finally figured out how to turn it off. In the end, it was a little tacky, but still cute.

The second was similar, but lacked cuteness. The officiant was in charge of the music and was supposed to start and stop it w/ the remote. Apparently, they hadn't rehearsed w/ music or something, because the remote didn't reach the player from where the officiant was, so one of the groomsmen had to take over. He had no clue what to play or when, so he just pressed start/stop whenever music was needed and the bride said "next track" every time it needed to be changed. It was so tacky and just left a bad impression.

If you also plan on doing this for the reception, you definitely need to appoint someone to start/stop the iPod for various things, like announcing the cake-cutting, special dances, etc. and make sure they know and have practiced when to play each song.

Just make sure to practice and that the person in charge has a written list of songs and times that you want them played.
    Good luck.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:52a6bbf7-db0f-4b30-973f-5dd19a4f73bePost:f8a75657-f16b-4368-be13-3af07da8eed6">Re: Is it tacky to....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm late on this, but I did want to respond. IMO, this is not tacky when done right, but when done wrong, it can be quite the disaster. Of the last two weddings I've been to, one used a CD in a small, boombox-style player for the ceremony and the other used an iPod hooked up to a remote control stereo system. Both went bad. The first was alright, except she had her older relative in charge of the music and he had no idea how to turn the CD player off, so it was fast-forwarded, rewound, etc a couple of times before he finally figured out how to turn it off. In the end, it was a little tacky, but still cute. The second was similar, but lacked cuteness. The officiant was in charge of the music and was supposed to start and stop it w/ the remote. Apparently, they hadn't rehearsed w/ music or something, because the remote didn't reach the player from where the officiant was, so one of the groomsmen had to take over. He had no clue what to play or when, so he just pressed start/stop whenever music was needed and the bride said "next track" every time it needed to be changed. It was so tacky and just left a bad impression. If you also plan on doing this for the reception, you definitely need to appoint someone to start/stop the iPod for various things, like announcing the cake-cutting, special dances, etc. and make sure they know and have practiced when to play each song. Just make sure to practice and that the person in charge has a written list of songs and times that you want them played. Good luck.
    Posted by redhed831[/QUOTE]

THIS.  Dj's will try to scare you into thinking that EVERYTHING WILL GO WRONG if you use your own music, but seriously, as long as you have someone who knows how to start/stop the music, and have hooked it up to the speaker system correctly...you will be fine!

Plus then you get the exact music you love and not a DJ playing songs you might not care for.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think it's tacky at all. My sister hooked up a laptop with an itunes playlist for hers. It sort of backfired though because the friend who was in charge of the music abandoned it and for like 30 minutes the dance floor was completely empty because nobody enjoyed the music.

Not saying that happens at all weddings that do this, though. I'm having a DJ because I'd get too overwhelmed with trying to put all of that music together myself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amylo84amylo84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it is tacky at all.  the music that I want at my wedding sounds better with the original artist singing it.  example:  I am having "all you need is love" by the beatles as my recessional, but everytime I hear someone else besides the Beatles sing it, quite frankly, it sucks.  I love the song, I love the Beatles and I don't want someone to (for lack of better words) butcher the song.  You need to do whatever sounds best.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • edited December 2011
    No, I think this is happening a lot. But most deejays will throw in ceremony music for a minimal fee. That way, you're still saving with the use of cd, but you don't have to hope that cousin Billy starts and stops the music on cue. That's what we have elected to. An extra $100 is worth the insurance that the music is done as professionally as possible. And it's one less thing I have to monitor that day.
    Jana
  • hmi0114hmi0114 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is also at 6pm and we'll be using a CD that I will have to make for the ceremony and probably for the reception too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards