Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

When do you book?

My fiance and I are getting married the Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend next year. We are looking for live music (a steelpan drummer) for the ceremony and a DJ for the reception.

We've been kind of casually looking at what's out there, but we're not too sure when to actually make moves to try to hire anyone. We know that we're getting married on a day that might be challenging the longer we wait, but we don't want to try to book anyone ludicrously early.

When should we be auditioning people and talking contracts?

Re: When do you book?

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Do you have your venue yet?  Some venues have lists of vendors that you can use and if a vendor isn't on the list you cannot use them.  Also, my DJ gave us a $200 discount because of an arrangement they have with our venue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp. It wouldn't be a bad idea to book now, but only if you have your venue.
  • islandblondeislandblonde member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have our venue already. It's a place that will pretty much let us bring in whoever we want. They gave us a list of "preferred" contractors, but we can definitely diverge from that with no extra cost. (Which is good -- they probably don't have a "preferred" steelpan player....)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards