Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

The Filter Building

Hi Everyone...
My day is almost here; a little over a month, yikes! I wanted to reach out and ask if anyone has had or is going to have their wedding here? I am blanking on decor and set-up ideas and would love to hear what worked for others!
Thanks so much!

Re: The Filter Building

• DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married there in May! 

We're hanging paper lanterns from the ceiling beams over the dance floor area.  We're not doing much lightiing other than dance floor because I like the lighting in the building.

We're doing cocktail leaner tables outside on the terrace, white linens with apple green napkins, milkglasses for centerpieces....

We're not doing too much because I really love the simplicity of the building.  Have you seen this wedding there? http://joshrodriguez.com/2009/09/29/christina-matts-wedding-preview/
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having mine there, but it isn't until October.  Not sure on set up yet, but I think I have most of the decor down.  I ha dbought paper lanterns to hang, but found out that we can't hang anything :(  And since we can only use existing nails or items that don't ruin the walls, we're pretty limited.

My plan is to have centerpieces with various heights and color.  I'm going to get most of the effects from using colored uplighting all around the perimeter and even outside on the terrace.  In the entrance I'm hanging the wedding pictures, names and wedding date of everyone in our familie that are married.  I bought some silver trees that I plan to put outside too as long as it isn't raining.  Hanging out inititals from the back doors on the far side.

That's what I have for now.  Hope it helps.  They have some weddings in March that we're actually going to see before the event starts.  I hope to get an idea for layout then.
  • edited December 2011
    Donnaaries - Did Carla say it was cool to do the lanterns?  I bought some but my caterer mentioned that you can't hang things there because it sets off the fire sprinkler.  When I emailed Carla she said that same thing.

I'd check on that.
    I'll be sad if you can since I just returned mine :(
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

It has something to do with the laser line of the sprinker sensors... we're only doing them in the middle area over the dancefloor between the lines of the sensors, and Carla had ok'ed that.

D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
  • ch10chch10ch member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at The Filter Building. As of now, twinkly lights are a must. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Ah man.  I wish Carla would've told me that.  She just said nothing could hang.  Well depending on the colors, let me know if you want to sell them afterwards!

• edited December 2011
    We are getting married there also May 29th and we heard the same thing, no hanging anything. I made a ton of pomader balls out of flowers to hang and was trying to figure out a new purpose after we found that out, but would love to find a way to hang them just over the dance floor if that is possible. Did she give you the certain area that you are able to hang them? Does anyone know where that dock is in the pictures that you gave a link for?

We are using a lot of the same look of the building for our decor, I actually am getting all white linens but made burlap table topers to put over the white linens and then got a bunch of wood boxes and white hydrangeas to go in them all over the tables and lots and lots of candles (in jars of course)

Does anyone have any other idea for an arch. I love the one in the link that you gave and would love to rent it from that person or buy it. Anyone know whose wedding this was?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hmmm.... it has been a while since I've chatted with Carla (we booked The Filter Building about a year ago), maybe I need to re-clarify what's going on with her...

That pier area in those photos are just a little further down the road from The Filter Building (keep driving past the building and it'll be on your right) in a little park area with a parking lot.

D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
  • edited December 2011
    I think Carla says she's available to meet at the venue Mondays, Wedensdays, and Fridays. 

Anyone up for a group field trip one of those days next week?  How does Friday work?  We can just throw out various ideas and maybe even find that we want a lot of the same items and can share the costs!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be except my Fridays are all booked in March.  I could possibly do a Wednesday.  April is probably too late for some of you girls.
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
  • leeann2001leeann2001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for all your ideas! So glad to hear there are actually others as I was getting worried!! LOL
    As for the hanging situation you all are talking about...my coordinator works for Carla and she's hanging poms for me on the ceiling. She kind of gave me a wink when I asked her if we are aloud to hang stuff. Perhaps Carla just doesn't want people messing with the framework or lights?!
    Personally, I'm having the toughest time with what to do if it RAINS! Yes, I said the R word but really trying not to stress since it's out of my control...
  • edited December 2011
    i'm up for group field trip on a wednesday too....april would be too late since technically i should have everything done by then. Leann 2001 who is your coordinator, i think i know who you're talking about friend of a friend. Oh, and I would totally be up for sharing cost with people....have you all gotten linens yet, that's my main thing left that i need still, but would always be up for more decorations
  • edited December 2011
    Wednesday can work for me as well.  So that narrows it down to 5 days in March (3,10,17,24, or 31).  As of right now any of them work for me.  If we do it later in the day around 4:30 we can bring pics of items we're using and see what is sharable.

Yea for sharing!

On a side note I feel lame for being on the knot on a Friday night.  I'm training for a marathon and our long runs start at 6:30 on Saturdays so I don't go out.  Everyone is still at happy hour now  :(

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can do any of those Wednesdays after 4:30pm.
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
  • edited December 2011
    Let's plan on Wednesday March 10th.  I can get in touch with Carla tomorrow to make sure that works.  Say 4:00?  I can be flexible if that time doesn't work.

I also found 125 black organza chair wraps that I'm going to look at tomorrow so I'd be willing to rent those cheap if anyone is wanting black.  $2.00 that the linen place is asking + tax is crazy!
  • edited December 2011
    I'll plan on being there wednesday the 10th  at 4 then also, please let me know if that changes at all. I won't be able to use the black chair ties but would like to see if anyone wants to split white/ivory table linens
  • edited December 2011
    Ok Ladies,

So apparently Carla isn't quite as open as I thought.  We can go look at the building when she has other appointments scheduled since this isn't any of our official planning meeting.

She said she will probably have appointments next Monday and Wednesday, but I don't know the time.  I'll keep you posted. 

She will be there this Friday from 12-3.  I know it's over lunch and Donna you can't make it, but just as a heads up as a potential option.

Sorry for the confusion.
  • edited December 2011
    bummer. i will be out of town from thursday to monday the 8th but if you guys haven't already gone by the time i get back i'm still in later in the week and I work for myself - invitation designer (plug lol) so am pretty available whenever.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards