Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Jazz 101/Dinner Music

So I have no clue what kind of music to play during dinner music.  Any suggestions?

Modern please.

I've heard jazz and takes me back to the doctor's waiting room.

Re: Jazz 101/Dinner Music

• Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to play a movie soundtrack CD, either "Something's Gotta Give", which is a lot of French songs, or "No Reservations" which  has a lot of  Italian/opera type music. This makes it easy because you can put in one CD and just let it play, plus it sounds like relaxing "dinner music".

Think of a movie soundtrack you liked that has mostly jazz music. Or go to amazon.com and do CD searches by type of music.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Depends!!!

Dinner time is a great time to entertain the "older" folks who will be attending your wedding.  This is a perfect opportunity to play some "oldies and standards" that your grandparents and older people will remember.

Some suggestions:

Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Natalie Cole, Etta James, Michael Bubble, Kenny G, George Benson.

Good luck!
  • Options
    KTAgeeKTAgee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please, no Kenny G... Kenny G will take you right back to the dentist's office... If you want some upbeat jazz, try some Stan Kenton! =D

However, I do approve of the Rat Pack, Nat King Cole, Natalie Cole, Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, Benny Goodman, Michael Bublé, Bobby Darin, Harry Connick Jr., James Darren, Jamie Cullum, Nancy Wison, and Tony Bennett. 

If you'd like some instrumental jazz that's not boring, try downloading some college jazz groups. Like San Diego State University, Citrus College, Reno, etc.
    July 24, 2010
  • Options
    cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a mix of jazz and some other alternative rock as well.  If it has a similar tempo and "feel," it flows really well.

I love the rat pack selections, but I would also add (on the alternative/modern side):
    Colin Hay
    Michael Buble
    Robbie Williams
    John Hiatt
    Jon McLaughlin

I also really like Paul Simon, Jimmy Buffett, and Bob Marley for a bit of variety.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chris Botti has some great music that would fit this style as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards