Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

preude-processional-recessional-what does all this mean?

Hi Girls:

I am looking to write my programs and select music for the cerominy. Can you tell me what all these mean and also give some advice. Our ceromony is not in a church but onsight @ our venue, so we have 2 BM and 2 Best man, how many songs do I need to select for the ceromony...I am so confused!

Thanks so much!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: preude-processional-recessional-what does all this mean?

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a church organist, so here goes:

The prelude(s) are the pieces that are quietly plaed in the background as your guests are arriving~before the ceremony begins.  You don't really need to select prelude music.  Just let your dj know the kind of mood you want to set.  I generally play about 20 minutes of prelude music.  The final piece of the prelude music is the piece played for the seating of the moms.

Processional:  the music that the WP and Bride and groom enter to.  It begins the ceremony.  You can decide how you want them to enter.  Are all the men and the officiant entering together, and then the BM's coming down the aisle, followed by you?  (That is the most traditional way).  You'll likely want one piece for the WP to enter. 

The dj will fade it out when your groom, his attendants and the officiant are all in place.  Then you'll want the piece you'll walk down the aisle to.  Again, the dj will fade it out when you reach the altar.

Recessional:  the piece of music that is played after the ceremony is over.  You'll really only need one song to get you and your WP up the aisle.  The dj will likely play more music (I usually play about 3 recessionals) but I promise you that you'll be so giddy at that point, you won't hear the recessional you choose, much less the ones that follow.  =)

So there you are:  you'll really be choosing 3 pieces of music:  BM entrance, bride's entrance, and recessional.  Your dj will be able to give you some suggestions if you can't think of any.

GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_preude-processional-recessional-this-mean?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:7f1a442e-2edc-4f55-a9b3-f521d8ce1949Post:48c5ce75-6b98-4338-b7bb-f6cae1e6752b">Re: preude-processional-recessional-what does all this mean?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a church organist, so here goes: The prelude (s) are the pieces that are quietly plaed in the background as your guests are arriving~before the ceremony begins.  You don't really need to select prelude music.  Just let your dj know the kind of mood you want to set.  I generally play about 20 minutes of prelude music.  The final piece of the prelude music is the piece played for the seating of the moms. Processional :  the music that the WP and Bride and groom enter to.  It begins the ceremony.  You can decide how you want them to enter.  Are all the men and the officiant entering together, and then the BM's coming down the aisle, followed by you?  (That is the most traditional way).  You'll likely want one piece for the WP to enter.  The dj will fade it out when your groom, his attendants and the officiant are all in place.  Then you'll want the piece you'll walk down the aisle to.  Again, the dj will fade it out when you reach the altar. Recessional :  the piece of music that is played after the ceremony is over.  You'll really only need one song to get you and your WP up the aisle.  The dj will likely play more music (I usually play about 3 recessionals) but I promise you that you'll be so giddy at that point, you won't hear the recessional you choose, much less the ones that follow.  =) So there you are:  you'll really be choosing 3 pieces of music:  BM entrance, bride's entrance, and recessional.  Your dj will be able to give you some suggestions if you can't think of any. GL
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

Awesome explanation!!!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oops~just saw one mistake: 

This paragraph should read:

The dj will fade it out when your groom, all attendants (Bride's and Groom's)  and the officiant are all in place.  Then you'll want the piece you'll walk down the aisle to.  Again, the dj will fade it out when you reach the altar.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards