Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Music for Unconventional Couple

My fiance and I are getting married next year and we aren't big dancers (at allll). I'd like a string ensemble/quartet for the wedding and the reception. A quartet that can play songs a la Vitamin String Quartet would be good... poppy songs, along with classical songs, would be perfect. 

My fiance says even though we dont like to dance, we should have a DJ for those that do. I cringe thinking about cheesy love songs and dance/party music at my wedding. I'm in favor of upbeat, string music in the background as we have dinner, eat cake, go to the photobooth, etc. 

Is there a happy medium? We're in Kansas City and having issues finding a wedding singer that's not a party band. Any advice would be great!

Re: Music for Unconventional Couple

• Options
    I don't know what pricing is like in your area, or what your budget is for this, but keep in mind that hiring a string quartet for your ceremony and reception is likely to be pretty pricey.  

You should post on your local board for specific recommendations.   This is an international board.  Local boards are to the left under the "Local Wedding Boards" link.

You may not like to dance, but if your guests do then you should absolutely have that option for them.  Listen to your fiance on this one.  If you hire a DJ you can have a lot of control over what is played.  Nix the "cheesy love songs" but compromise on a few crowd-pleasing party favorites.

Remember that the reception is a "thank you" to your guests for coming to your ceremony.  Their comfort and enjoyment should be foremost on your mind when planning it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_music-for-unconventional-couple?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:9945bc7b-fc70-4bcb-b657-3d01868fbe12Post:7cfc24c7-515e-4fe3-b9ee-777cd032f14a">Re: Music for Unconventional Couple</a>:
    [QUOTE]You may not like to dance, but if your guests do then you should absolutely have that option for them.  Listen to your fiance on this one.  If you hire a DJ you can have a lot of control over what is played.  Nix the "cheesy love songs" but compromise on a few crowd-pleasing party favorites. Remember that the reception is a "thank you" to your guests for coming to your ceremony.  Their comfort and enjoyment should be foremost on your mind when planning it.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

This.  My fiance and I aren't big dancers, either, but I'm not sure that much else would keep the party going.  We did decide to book a DJ for our guests' enjoyment. 

I went to a wedding once with no DJ (the venue was at a restaurant and only had the usual restaurant background music playing) and many of the guests ended up leaving early. 
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy: Invites imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am not a dancer, but my husband IS. We got married in August and did NOT have a DJ, but we DID have an iPod going (through dinner, cake, photobooth, etc.) - everything worked out awesomely, through the art of mingling :)  Everyone was busy enough, so dancing wasn't a huge "issue" and no one even questioned me about it! However, our reception was outside, and it was easy to throw on the iPod through speakers for everyone's enjoyment (p.s. we also had Vitamin String Quartet playing for my bridesmaids' walk down the aisle " A Thousand Years" - so great!)..the iPod contained love songs from a variety of genres...I handpicked them all :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards