Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Should my non-attentive DJ get the boot?

Hi all,

So I asked a pretty close friend of mine, who DJs in a couple of my favorite clubs in DC, to DJ my wedding in August.  He said yes and I offered to give him $600, which I think is a fair amount for 5 hrs, especially if you're dj-ing a friend's wedding.  Anways, he missed our first appt to meet because "his dad had to use his car", and he doesn't get back to me on emails/texts/phonecalls for at least a week on average.  I am at my wits-end here!  Is $600 an insulting amount to have offered?  Or is this guy just uninterested/unprofessional?  My friend told me she talked to him about the wedding before and he said we had plenty of time...

Should I start looking for other dj's and tell him n/m?  He is with an entertainment company and has done weddings before.  I'm just worried his non-attentive attitude is going to spill over to the wedding.  If I tell him nevermind, how do I do it without ruining the friendship?  This is why people say don't mix business with friends!!!

Re: Should my non-attentive DJ get the boot?

• Koopa17Koopa17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What all do you need to talk to him about in Feb for an Aug wedding?
  • edited December 2011
    Just the basics... his equipment, what lighting he has available, putting together my music list, etc... 
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He's thinking "She's got 6.5 whole months until her wedding."  You're thinking "It's ONLY 6.5 months until my wedding."

He's the professional here~he undoubtedly sees no reason at all to have meetings about equipment/playlists.  Because there just isn't.  Back off.  He djs clubs~he'll be able to handle your wedding.  It's just not on his radar screen yet.

Why do you think you need to do this now?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Well considering I booked my DJ last April for our July 2011 wedding I can understand your concern. Entertainment is HUGE in our book & we wanted to make sure our DJ understood how important every little aspect was.

From the day I requested an appointment to today regardless what the question is our DJ has been very quick to either return a phone call or respond to emails. IMO I think if he isn't paying much attention to your questions or concerns now then that would make me worry for the real specifics and day of.

It is your choice--maybe look at another possible DJ, price them out & meet with them. If you choose to not work with your friend (which is hard sometimes) just explain the situation. I am sure he will understand.

HTH & GL!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    thanks kls and trix, I'm going to give him a few days to get back to me.  If he doesn't, I'll call him and voice my concerns.  I'm looking up other DJ's in the area.  Steve Moody popped up as one of the best on WeddingWire.
  • edited December 2011
    I would spend the $600 on another dj who isn't doing you a favor or cutting a break. I felt the same way with a photographer friend that we were going to pay $1200 for, although they usually charge over $2000. They didn't seem as attentive as I wanted and showed up late to the engagement party. The best way to find a good vendor is contacting other brides who already used them. They should always return emails within three days.
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many weddings has this person done?  I'm more concerned about the fact that he is a DJ at a club than I am that he is not returning your calls.  A club DJ might not neccessarily be the dj you want for your wedding.  Also, I've seen professional DJs offer five hours of service for 600 dollars so your price isn't really that low. 
  • edited December 2011
    My first suggestions to a bride/groom when they're interviewing vendors (not just DJ's) is to look for someone who makes them feel comfortable.

If you're having second thoughts about him bwing your DJ, I would suggest you consider inviting him to the wedding as a friend, and hiring someone else outside.

I would also recommend you interview another DJ or two, just in case, to get an idea of what DJ's will offer you and where you stand.  Just don't sign a contract until you know where you stand with your DJ friend.

Good luck!
  • springsummerspringsummer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would give him a chance and voice your concerns with him because he is a friend.  Maybe you both can set up timelines that you are both comfortable with for going over song choices and information.  (I would definately mention that his slow responses concern you!)

However, I don't think that him providing a list of equiptment now is unreasonable.  If he doesn't have everything that you want and you decide you want to go with another dj, you need enough time to find someone else.  Besides, how long can it take him to make a list of equiptment that he has?!

Hope this helps!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards