Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Musician or CD?!

Okay so a looooong time ago, we went and spoke to the minister of music at the church we are getting married at. Well, we told him our song choices then, and he said that was fine, just to let him know for sure once we had a final decision made. Well a few weeks ago, I contacted him and told him that We had decided on our songs, and now he wants me to buy sheet music! This was never mentioned before! He said he promised God that he wouldn't learn secular music to play in his house.
Now I am at the point where I am thinking about just playing a CD. . . Is that tacky? I don't feel like I should have to buy sheet music for a man who plays by ear. All the songs are instrumental so whats the big deal!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Musician or CD?!

• Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to work for a DJ company, and when we did ceremonies, we used CD's. I don't think it's tacky at all.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a church organist, and I have to say that if you asked me for music that I didn't have in my repetoire, I'd be telling you the same thing.

If you want the music, you need to provide it at your cost.  If I have to buy it, I'm going to add it to my fee, otherwise I'm losing money, right?

Further:  I don't play secular music for a wedding ceremony in the church.  In our church, we consider a ceremony a worship service.  And everything about the ceremony needs to reflect that.

You have hours and hours at your reception to use all the secular music you want.  But for the church part?  Sacred only.

And one last point:  again, in our church, you can opt to bring in your own musician or use pre-recorded music.  But I still have to be offered a bench fee, which is a fee you pay to me if you choose not to use my services.

Many, many churches have a bench fee written into their contract for a wedding.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I never got a contract, and when we initially talked to him, he never mentioned us having to buy sheet music. WE told him what songs we wanted which were secular, and he said to just let him know for sure which ones we wanted, and to get them to him in time to learn. He plays by ear. Now he wants us to buy sheet music. I found the music for cheap, but it could be alot cheaper if we use a CD. . . Decisions, Decisions!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards