Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Laptop/ iPod DJ --- Here's how you do it!

For any brides considering doing your own DJ, it is possible to go great! We just got married last weekend and it went perfectly. Everywhere I've looked online about iPod DJs say it's a horrible idea, so I wanted to provide some encouraging words to those considering it.

Our wedding was around 55 people, mostly young/young at heart, so I wanted "popular dance music," the kind of stuff I like to dance to. I put in a few slow songs, but I really wasn't concerned about pleasing everyone's tastes because the old people wouldn't be dancing anyway. Mostly a mix of Pitbull, Rihanna, David Guetta.. that sort of thing. Once I collected a few hours of dance songs, I organized them into a playlist that had a good flow. The program I used allowed me to level the volumes and remove the 2 second gap between songs (very important).  For dinner, cocktail hour, and while people were arriving for the ceremony, I played a shuffled mix of Jack Johnson and Death Cab for Cutie. And of course we picked out specific songs for Processional, Recessional, First Dance, etc.

Next, I organized all of my songs into different playlists to make it easy to operate without fiddling. I numbered the playlists so it would be clear which order to play them in, like this:
0- Arrival/Cocktail/Dinner
1- Processional
2- Recessional
3-First Dance
4- Father/Daugter Dance
5- Bouquet/Garter Toss

Some of these playlists only have 1 song in them, but it made it very easy that way.

Now the most important part-- RENT PROFESSIONAL SOUND EQUIPMENT. There is really no way around this. There is a great rental place in Tampa we rented from (A-Aardvark Music Rental, for any local gals!), where we got a 6-channel mixer, 2 cabinet speakers, a subwoofer, mic, mic stand, 2 speaker stands, and cables for $97 (rented for 5 days). Once we figured out how to set it up, we labeled every cord and where to plug in each end. We had the system set up for our outdoor ceremony, had a few boys break it down and move it to the reception room. It was very easy to set up and only took minutes.

The other do-it-yourself aspect is you need an emcee for announcements and to change playlists. We had one of my fiance's good friends do this. It is a very important job, so it needs to be someone who is confident and won't be distracted from drinking too much or getting overly emotional. Our friend did a great job staying on task and constantly checking with us to see when we are ready for the next "event".

We put a lot of thought into our playlists and it turned out great with people on the dance floor every song except one (we needed a song to rest!) The music had great flow so no one thought to mess with the playlist. The sound was great, professional quality. It was exactly what we wanted and I am so so glad we did go through with this! Hope this helps!
photo bubbaandteddy_zpsb9dd0b98.jpg

Re: Laptop/ iPod DJ --- Here's how you do it!

• kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    That is super helpful! Thanks a lot! We are also planning to use an ipod and I've been working on the playlist. We have a good friend who will take care of the music and another friend who will be our MC. Our reception is in a restaurant, so they already have a sound system set up. We just need to plug in!
  • I'm getting married in 8 days and we are also having an iPod wedding :) your post really just relieved a lot of stress for me. That's the part I'm most anxious for because I want everyone to have fun and not be focused on no actual dj. Quick question could you post a sample of your playlist. I'm not sure how to put songs in order and I have all the music downloaded just need help from there. Please and thank you lol :) plus did your mc just stop the music and make announcements when you asked him too or was someone else in charge of your schedule? Thanks!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_laptop-ipod-dj-heres-how-you-do-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:9e139bdb-8577-48d2-bd9b-953a150052b1Post:5fc0dd05-6a10-44d5-86c2-aa15c0ec0220">Re: Laptop/ iPod DJ --- Here's how you do it!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married in 8 days and we are also having an iPod wedding :) your post really just relieved a lot of stress for me. That's the part I'm most anxious for because I want everyone to have fun and not be focused on no actual dj. Quick question could you post a sample of your playlist. I'm not sure how to put songs in order and I have all the music downloaded just need help from there. Please and thank you lol :) plus did your mc just stop the music and make announcements when you asked him too or was someone else in charge of your schedule? Thanks!
    Posted by gwengaudi[/QUOTE]

I told my mc ahead of time the annoucements he needed and basically the times I wanted everything to happen. He just came to me and asked if I was ready to do the bouquet toss, etc, and he turned the music volume down and did his thing. And here was the order of songs I did for the dancing part. The pre-ceremony, cocktail hour, and dinner music I shuffed the same playlist.

<ol><li>Pitbull Featuring T-Pain & Sean Paul - Shake Senora</li><li>Flo Rida - Good Feeling</li><li>LMFAO - Sexy and I Know It</li><li>Don Omar - Danza Kuduro ft. Lucenzo</li><li>Edward Maya & Vika Jigulina - Stereo Love</li><li>Armin van Buuren feat. Laura V - Drowning (Avicii Mix)</li><li>Benny Benassi ft. Gary Go - Cinema</li><li>Gareth Emery feat. Christina Novelli - Concrete Angel</li><li>David Guetta Feat Nicki Minaj - Turn Me On</li><li> Flo Rida - Wild Ones ft. Sia</li><li>Adele - Someone Like You</li><li>Kelly Clarkson - What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)</li><li>Jennifer Lopez - On The Floor ft. Pitbull</li><li>Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)</li><li>Oh - Ciara ft. Ludacris</li><li>Dj Laz f Flo Rida - Move Shake Drop</li><li>Far East Movement - Like a G6</li><li>Rihanna - Rude Boy</li><li>Benny Benassi - Satisfaction (Club Mix)</li><li>Enur feat. Natasja - Calabria 2007</li><li>Pitbull - Bon, Bon</li><li>Michael Franti & Spearhead - Say Hey (I Love You)</li><li>Juvenile - Back That Ass Up</li><li>The Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow</li><li>Nicki Minaj - Super Bass</li><li>Chris Brown - Forever</li><li>Eminem - Not Afraid</li><li>DJ Khaled - All I Do Is Win</li><li>The Black Eyed Peas - Pump It</li><li>Beyoncé - Single Ladies</li><li>Rihanna Feat Calvin Harris - We Found Love</li><li>David Guetta feat Kid Cudi - Memories</li><li>Bubba Sparxxx - Ms. New Booty</li><li>David Guetta - Without You ft. Usher</li><li>Rhianna - Pon De Replay</li><li>Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta Get Thru This</li><li>David Guetta & Chris Willis feat. Fergie & Lmfao - Gettin' Over You </li><li>Eiffel 65 - Blue</li><li>Sean Kingston - Fire Burning</li><li>Sean Paul - Get Busy</li><li>Pitbull - Rain Over Me ft. Marc Anthony</li><li>Enrique Iglesias - I Like It</li><li>Missy Elliott - Work It</li><li>Ying Yang Twins ft. Pitbull - Shake</li><li>Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On</li><li>The Black Eyed Peas - My Humps</li><li>Timbaland - The Way I Are</li><li>Usher - More</li><li>Pitbull - Hotel Room Service</li><li>Pitbull - Hey Baby (Drop It To The Floor) ft. T-Pain</li><li>Flo Rida - Turn Around</li><li>Usher feat Pitbull - DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love</li><li>Nelly Furtado - Promiscuous ft. Timbaland</li><li>Sean Paul - Gimme The Light</li><li>Lady Gaga - The Edge Of Glory</li><li>Matisyahu - One Day</li><li>Taio Cruz - Break Your Heart</li><li>Jay-Z - 99 Problems</li><li>Pitbull - Bojangles</li><li>Pitbull - Give Me Everything ft. Ne-Yo</li><li>Journey - Don't Stop Believin'</li><li>Lady Gaga - Bad Romance</li><li> Timbaland Katy Perry - If We Ever Meet Again</li><li>Matisyahu - King Without A Crown</li><li>Outasight - Tonight Is The Night</li><li>Sean Paul - Like Glue</li><li>Usher - OMG ft. <a href="http://will.i.am/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">will.i.am</a></li><li>Ying Yang Twins - Salt Shaker</li><li>Rihanna - Dont Stop The Music</li></ol>
    photo bubbaandteddy_zpsb9dd0b98.jpg
  • Oh my gosh, you are amazing!! Thank you sooooo much! Looks like the FI has some work cut out for him! :) 
  • I have a question about the ipod play list weddings….I have been creating a playlist on Grooveshark.com, which is a musical site online…they allow you to look up music by artist name, and its free….What programs are you using to get your music? Are you downloading each song using itunes, or is there a program I can use to do it, so there is fading in between songs, etc?  Thanks for your help!
    Amanda Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards