Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

First dance suggestions please :)

So we're on the search for a first dance song. There are a few requirements... We're a pretty traditional couple and like traditional music, so nothing like JLo or Alicia Keys or anything like that. It's a beach themed wedding, so I'd like something with a beachy feel to it (not a necessity). I love the idea of having a old song but a modern version of it (I love Michael Buble's version of a lot of old traditional songs, but Fiance isn't to keen on him). And I would like something a little upbeat and not terribly slow.

We're open to any and all suggestions!! Thanks ladies :)

Re: First dance suggestions please :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine used Somewhere Over The Rainbow, but the version by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, it's a little bit upbeat and sounds kind of beachy.
    *Kelly* MARRIED to the love of my life October 17, 2009!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm yours- Jason Mraz
    We will dance- Steven Curtiss Chapman
    I'll take care of you- Steven Curtiss Chapman
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Think how different it would be if you would have never met the one who changed everything...
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you like country? We used Then by Brad Paisley - love it. But I am also in love with the new song Love like Crazy by Lee Brice. Both are such great songs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got engaged in hawaii last year and every morning my now fiance would play the somewhere over the rainbow song when we woke up.  That's what I think we are going to use for our first dance song.  The singer is know as Big Iz on the island ( Isreal Kamakawiwo), but he remade numerous other old songs with a beachy sound.  google his name...he's awesome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Jason Mraz -Lucky
    Ingrid Michaelson-the way I am

here is a big song list

http://danceexperts.com/all-about-dance/latest-dance-news/wedding-songs-for-dancing/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    From LA to Rome by Chester See
  • Options
    olilirish1oolilirish1o member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm still trying to decide mine but here's a couple different ones I've been going through and still adding more to the list.

Tim-McGraw- My Best Friend
    Josh Turner- Soulmate
    Brad Pailsey- Than
    98 Degrees- I Do  (oldddd song! lol)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    what about Mandy Moore's cover of Umbrella?  its SOOO pretty!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMB6YOWzQMY
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "Into the Mystic" by Van Morrison.  I loveloveloveloveLOVE this song and will be using it for my own beach wedding.

Other good slow songs we're definitely using:

"God Only Knows" by The Beach Boys.  Obviously perfect for a beach wedding, and the older set will recognize the sentiments.

"Loving You Loving Me" by Dave Barnes.  The lyrics and beat are perfect.  It's about a couple just having a relaxing evening together and not too mushy-mushy.

"Sea of Love" by Phil Phillips.  That 50s song that starts "Come with meee, my-hi love..."  Again, more for the older set, but still a perfect little diddy that is relatively short.

"Love and Happiness" by Al Green.  Awwww yeaaaahhh.   Almost up there with "Let's Get it On" by Marvin Gaye.  Not really a first dance song, but a couple drinks in and everyone will be into this. :)  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    filawfilaw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was also going to recommend "God Only Knows".  Can't get much more beachy than the Beach Boys, it's classic, and very sweet sentiment-wise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards