Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Choosing a DJ

I posted this on the Chit Chat board, but I feel like this is the more suitable board for this post:

So my FI and I have met with like 9 DJs (I know, thats alot LOL) and we have three more meetings.  How did you ladies make your choice?  We were able to narrow it down so far to four that we really like and obviously price is going to play a role in our choice, but just wondering if theres anything else that I should consider when choosing a DJ.

Thanks ladies!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Choosing a DJ

• edited September 2012
    I found this list of questions really helpful:
    http://www.mydeejay.com/wedding-advice/questions-to-ask-a-dj-wedding

It's from a vendor website, so make sure to take it with a grain of salt as you should with any advice that comes from people who are out to make money, but it brought up several things I would never have thought of otherwise.

I tried to book as many local, women- and minority-owned small businesses for my vendors as possible, because that's something I think is important to support in my community, but it also turned out that the awesome woman-owned local entertainment company was one of the only businesses I looked into that was capable of following basic instructions (i.e. please don't call me during work hours), so I liked them the best anyway.  :)
  • I've worked for a DJ company for 7 years (and now planning my own wedding!).  Some of the important things to ask are if they have backups in case something goes wrong.  We always take an extra amplifier, extra cords, an extra laptop, and cd backups of the songs we have just in case something goes wrong.  That way you can have peace of mind knowing that you're covered!   Find out what they wear to the wedding, some DJs will just wear casual clothes, others will wear full tuxes.  Most important however is the personality.  Pick someone you're comfortable with.  Depending on what you're looking for, you may want to find out if they will stay out of the way and just play your songs, or if they will get involved over the night entertain the guests.  Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards