Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

DJ or IPOD? Help!

I am having a smaller wedding (80) guests with the reception being at a restaurant with an outdoor patio. There is no space for a dance floor, but there will be space for us to have our first dance.

We have other acitivites planned to get guests involved to pass the time since we wont have a dance floor. I am curious if money should be spent on a DJ to play music, or do our own thing with an ipod and speaker.

I am worried how much space a DJ will take up (and cost), especially if there will be no dancing.

Everyones opinion is appreciated!

Re: DJ or IPOD? Help!

• Options
    I would say DJ. I've been to one wedding with an iPod. The main problem with the iPod was people messing with the playlist. For example, when a song came on that the group on the dance floor didn't like, they just clicked on to the next song. It reminded me of a party at someone's house. I know that a lot of the older people there didn't really dance. I think the bride was upset about the "handling" of the iPod. (My recommendation, if you use an iPod, put a well thought-out playlist out of reach!)
  • Options
    I'd go with a dj as well. You definitely dont want people to mess your your playlist. If you are worried about cost look for someone who is a dj on the side. They tend to be cheaper than someone who does it for a living
  • Options
    I'm doing an Ipod and I'm in the middle of making the playlists now and it majorly stinks!!  I can understand not wanting to spend the money on a DJ, since you won't be able to dance (and that's the main reason of getting one) but if you're less than 3mo out I wouldn't do it, unless you want to give this job to your FI.
  • Options
    If you go with an iPod, I'd hire a friend to take care of it. That way you'll have someone "in charge" of music without having to pay a DJ.
  • Options
    Thanks for your opinion! Ive been trying to put a song list together and its irritating the hell out of me already!
  • Options
    So besided having an iPod, how do you intend to get the music amplified?  Who's going to act as MC so guest know what's going on?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards