Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

What did you change your name to?

Ok, I'm sure I'm over thinking this, but I'm just curious...did any of you keep two names for your middle? My middle name is the same as my mom's, so it's kind of sentimental. Also, I'm the last of my family to have my maiden name since I'm the youngest (and there aren't any boys to carry it on), so I'm having a hard time with completely giving it up, too. Originally, I was going to keep both my original middle and maiden as my middle but I'm realizing that it's just sooo long, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. My SIL mentioned that I could keep both legally, then use whatever I want IRL, but I'm not really sure how that would work since it seems like most things in life go by legal names (bank accounts, credit cards, work stuff, etc.).

Anniversary

Re: What did you change your name to?

• Options
    I'm getting my name changed tomorrow and I am getting rid of my middle name and keeping my maiden name in it's place.  It was a request from my dad since he has 2 girls and thats what my sister did so I'm following along.  I don't think any of my bank accts or work stuff have my middle name on them.
  • Options
    I struggled with this too, since my middle name is a family name (my grandfathers' sister). I ended up taking my maiden name as my middle name, mostly because I felt like legal or not, my middle name would always be 'mine'. Since I was never addressed as 'Amelia', I didn't see any reason to keep that name over my maiden name. I'll always feel that bond with my great Aunt, but in the end I decided to leave it off of my legal name. Unless I'm signing my name, I don't really even consider it being gone.
  • Options
    This was HARD for me, because growing up I went by Carrie Jean (or CJ), but my last name is tied very tightly with my siblings and cousins. Ultimately, because I have a brother and a male cousin to carry on the name, I completely dropped my maiden name.

My college roommate dropped her middle name, and then gave her first daughter that middle name, as a way to 'carry it on.'
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_what-did-you-change-your-name-to?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:5d9ebed4-b7ca-468d-80c0-6533ffd565f5Post:efc186a5-03b0-4551-a6ec-f247943c4e99">Re: What did you change your name to?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This was HARD for me, because growing up I went by Carrie Jean (or CJ), but my last name is tied very tightly with my siblings and cousins. Ultimately, because I have a brother and a male cousin to carry on the name, I completely dropped my maiden name. <strong>My college roommate dropped her middle name, and then gave her first daughter that middle name, as a way to 'carry it on.'
    </strong>Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

This is a good idea. One of my friend's named her daughter her maiden name and it works so well.

I kept my middle and dropped my maiden completely. It's girls only in our family but our last name isn't really our true last name (long story lol) so there wasn't much sentimental value to me. My middle name holds much more cause its a family name.
  • Options
    Phew, I think I finally decided. If they'll let me then I'm going to keep both my birth middle and maiden as middle. I know it might be a hassle, but it will make me happy. If they won't, I think I'm going to just drop my maiden. :(

Carrie, I forgot that we had the same middle name. Creeepppy. Haha. No one ever called me EJ, but I have used it on a lot of interweb things (hence, my SN on TK).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Erica - I think it's all based on space restriction. You can only have so many characters. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_what-did-you-change-your-name-to?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:5d9ebed4-b7ca-468d-80c0-6533ffd565f5Post:7b5def98-01b5-46a3-a497-a8c159ce70db">Re: What did you change your name to?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Erica - I think it's all based on space restriction. You can only have so many characters. 
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

Oooh....well, that isn't going to be good because my maiden name is long as eff. Too bad I can't call and ask. I tried yesterday but when I tried to get to a person it just told me to try again later and hung up on me.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm going tomorrow to get my name changed, does anyone know how much it costs @ social security office and do they only take cash or can i use card?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_what-did-you-change-your-name-to?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:5d9ebed4-b7ca-468d-80c0-6533ffd565f5Post:1d8fb937-c639-421d-8b09-eb87846f94c3">Re: What did you change your name to?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going tomorrow to get my name changed, does anyone know how much it costs @ social security office and do they only take cash or can i use card?
    Posted by kel50785[/QUOTE]

Your new SS card will be free! :) However, a replacement driver's license costs...I think $25? But they take cash and CC.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Ok thanks! Im trying to be as prepared as possible since Im only taking a few hours off work to get them both done!
  • Options
    I'm glad you asked this, I'm struggling with the exact same issue. I love my middle name, it's my mom's and grandfather's middle name, and my great grandmother's maiden name. I'll probably wind up dropping my maiden alltogether, my first and middle just flow better. I may do what my aunt did and give one of my kids my maiden as their middle or something like that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_what-did-you-change-your-name-to?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:5d9ebed4-b7ca-468d-80c0-6533ffd565f5Post:1d8fb937-c639-421d-8b09-eb87846f94c3">Re: What did you change your name to?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going tomorrow to get my name changed, does anyone know how much it costs @ social security office and do they only take cash or can i use card?
    Posted by kel50785[/QUOTE]

I only paid $11! I brought cash but they did accept cards. You may want to check online to make sure before you go.
  • Options
    I'm SO confused by this!  Hence, why I have done nothing and Monday is our 1 year anniversary!  I have a pretty unique, meaningful last name, and no one to carry it on.  Plus, I am extablished in my career, and my name is part of my "brand" for a lack of a better way to put it.  My DH would prefer me not to change it, and honestly, would change his if it wasn't socially awkard and he didn't have a kid!  

That said, I am also very traditional, and want to have his last name.  I think I will eventually drop my middle name, and take my madien as my middle, and for work, just go by for first name and madien last name, I've been told that was okay.  

I feel bad for stuggling with this, and glad to see this thread! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_what-did-you-change-your-name-to?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:5d9ebed4-b7ca-468d-80c0-6533ffd565f5Post:0a4b2b74-307a-4fed-bae6-cd6c7be54594">Re: What did you change your name to?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm SO confused by this!  Hence, why I have done nothing and Monday is our 1 year anniversary!  I have a pretty unique, meaningful last name, and no one to carry it on.  Plus, I am extablished in my career, and my name is part of my "brand" for a lack of a better way to put it.  My DH would prefer me not to change it, and honestly, would change his if it wasn't socially awkard and he didn't have a kid!   That said, I am also very traditional, and want to have his last name.  I think I will eventually drop my middle name, and take my madien as my middle, and for work, just go by for first name and madien last name, I've been told that was okay.   I feel bad for stuggling with this, and glad to see this thread! 
    Posted by winechic25[/QUOTE]

<div>Aw, I'm glad that this made you feel better! I think a LOT of women struggle with this, especially nowadays since it isn't such a "must" for women to take their husbands' names. I think your idea is perfect for your situation. Have you thought about hyphenating at all? I'm sure you have...I'm just curious what your thoughts are on that. We met a couple from the UK on our honeymoon and they said that it's relatively common there for both the husband AND wife to take the combined, hyphenated name. I thought that was really cool. </div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Just an update for anyone who's curious...I was indeed able to change my name to First Middle Maiden NewLast at the SS office. My combined middle name has 13 characters including the space. Now I just have to see if they try to fight me at the DMV or not. :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_what-did-you-change-your-name-to?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:5d9ebed4-b7ca-468d-80c0-6533ffd565f5Post:f45dda35-8ce2-4271-afdf-8840f45c23fb">Re: What did you change your name to?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just an update for anyone who's curious...I was indeed able to change my name to First Middle Maiden NewLast at the SS office. My combined middle name has 13 characters including the space. Now I just have to see if they try to fight me at the DMV or not. :)
    Posted by ejheart[/QUOTE]

I was planning on keeping both names but had never heard of a possible letter limit! I'm at 15 with a space :( Feel free to send me a PM on whether you had any problems at the DMV!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_what-did-you-change-your-name-to?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:5d9ebed4-b7ca-468d-80c0-6533ffd565f5Post:b5bb57c0-8d47-4c94-a136-5155dc7aea6a">Re: What did you change your name to?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What did you change your name to? : Aw, I'm glad that this made you feel better! I think a LOT of women struggle with this, especially nowadays since it isn't such a "must" for women to take their husbands' names. I think your idea is perfect for your situation. Have you thought about hyphenating at all? I'm sure you have...I'm just curious what your thoughts are on that. We met a couple from the UK on our honeymoon and they said that it's relatively common there for both the husband AND wife to take the combined, hyphenated name. I thought that was really cool. 
    Posted by ejheart[/QUOTE]
    I actually did consider hyphenating, but the more I thought about it, and watched the confusion it caused people at work on knowing which last name to use when looking up on systems, etc, I figured the just using my madien as my middle and keeping that for work was easier.  <div>
    </div><div>Guess I need to get on the ball with this!!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards