Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

String Quartet

My fiance and I would really love to have a string quartet play during the ceremony, cocktail hour, and during dinner.  I know prices vary depending on who you use and for how long, but does anyone know a ballpark number of what that might cost??  Like I said, I know it varies, but if anyone has a general number, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!!

Re: String Quartet

• Options
    meep2meep2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What type of string quartet are you talking about, professionals, college students, high school students? It probably makes a difference how picky you are.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_string-quartet-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:ca181139-2556-4c61-b4f7-06f76041bc67Post:25bdc1f6-49be-4542-8bbd-dbc74809170c">Re: String Quartet</a>:
    [QUOTE]What type of string quartet are you talking about, professionals, college students, high school students? It probably makes a difference how picky you are.
    Posted by meep2[/QUOTE]

I'm not picky.  If they can play well and sound good, then that's all I need.
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am paying my musicians $150-$200 each for the ceremony (including rehearsal the day before, prelude, ceremony music, postlude).  It might be a bit less than that if you hire 4 musicians - I would estimate in the $500-$800 range for that many musicians (but of course, do some research in your own area).

They are all professional musicians.
  • Options
    sklink0486sklink0486 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine will be $1050 for 2 hours. So $525 per hour/ 4 musicians= about $130 per musician per hour. But the cool thing is the ones we hired will play classical music for the ceremony in the church, then for the cocktail hour will play classic rock, new pop, Beatles, etc- basically anything which we thought was kind of cool for the cocktail hour.
    Planning Bio

Our wedding date is November 12, 2011

110 invited 86 accepted! 20 can't make it 4 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 12th, 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a professional violist- it really depends on where you live.  Since you're in Chicago, it will probably be a bit more, maybe $120-140 per musician per hour.  It also depends on whether they are playing solo or not.  I have friends in Chicago that freelance- let me know if you'd like to get in contact with them.  Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards