Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

DJ for a Big Formal Wedding?

I am having a formal evening reception (plated dinner and top tier open bar) for about 300 ppl. Everyone is assuming that we will be having a band but we (FI and I) woud actually like a DJ. We like the idea of hearing the actual songs and the wide variety of the music. Would a DJ be out of place for such a wedding? Would anyone side eye me?

Re: DJ for a Big Formal Wedding?

• Oh wow!!! I am having somewhat of the same issue. I am only having about 1--120 guests but I am marrying a worship music director (and DJ) who is extremely talented! Amazing voice!!!! Ofcourse he will not be "working" at our wedding but questioning a band vs DJ. We decided on a DJ! He knows best as he does weddings (others) and his thoughts are....all bands don't know all genres. Some do top 40's well while others are motown, 80's strong etc. After originally searching for a band, I realized his truths!!! We too also want the original artist performances and a mixture of different eras! DJ's have exactly what we want and feel our guests will have a greater time!!

Good luck
    Laura

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_dj-for-a-big-formal-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:d2c4cf74-d8bc-4e3f-8479-ee97e170a6e9Post:7fe75247-5723-499a-b308-758f8d957bbd">DJ for a Big Formal Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having a formal evening reception (plated dinner and top tier open bar) for about 300 ppl. Everyone is assuming that we will be having a band but we (FI and I) woud actually like a DJ. We like the idea of hearing the actual songs and the wide variety of the music. <strong>Would a DJ be out of place for such a wedding? Would anyone side eye me?</strong>
    Posted by moemacWed30594[/QUOTE]

<div>It's hard to answer that without knowing what is typical for weddings in your area and in your circle of family/friends.</div><div>
    </div><div>In my area, formal evening receptions with plated dinners and open bar are pretty standard.  Some couples have bands, some have DJs.  No one bats an eye at either.  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Almost all formal weddings where I am in CT do djs you have more of a selection of music and If your family likes a ganera of music have the DJ play some of that more. Do what you want its your day I say dj
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards