Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

first dance song...

ladies! I need help! My soon to be husband and i do not have "a song" and we only have 23 days lef to pick a fisrt dance song..we are sooooo stuck...we defintley dont want something that has been played a thousand times...but we want something that is meaningful and fun...serious but not too serious...any help is appreciated!!!!  Thanks

Re: first dance song...

• ncd5015ncd5015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

FI and I have been considering a couple songs:
    All for You - Keith Urban
    Precious Love - James Morrison
    Hold My Hand - Hootie and the Blowfish (it's a long shot to convince him but I try every time :) )

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Our first song is going to be The First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes. It fits us and our relatioship/personalities. Its also slow enough that we can do the whole prom dance/sway thing since we suck at dancing (lol!). but I'm walking down the aisle to Marry Me by Bruno Mars. You could use that, too. Its pretty upbeat and fun. =) Always makes me smile...
  • newenglandorrnewenglandorr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are a little bit older and we're using Beyonce's version of "At Last" (Etta James original) that the Obamas danced to at the inauguration. It's not "our song" particularly, but so appropriate for our first dance. I love it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KristenG2011KristenG2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are thinking of using the song Marry Me by Train...the words are really. :)
  • edited December 2011
    My FH and I hae decided on Beautiful, by H.I.M. It is sooo not traditional, but very awesome. However, if you want something fun, but really nice-- the song "Here comes the Sun" by the Beatles is an amazing choice.

Best of luck!
  • Kimberly0402Kimberly0402 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a list of songs that were ideas and one night we played them on the laptop and danced in our living room to them. Our song was the only one that made me cry. I could see us on our wedding day, dancing to it in front of all our family and friends. Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kissamarykissamary member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My Favorite Book by Stars is pretty awesome.
    We are either doing Echo by Incubus or Lions by The Features, both never played :)

• oliviamarie13oliviamarie13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going with Summertime Clothes by Animal Collective, Electric Feel by MGMT, or I've Just Seen a Face by The Beatles.
  • Lauren19.Lauren19. member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're dancing to The Best Is Yet to Come. Originally done by Farnk Sinatra but we're doing the Tony Bennett version. I LOVE that period of music and the lyrics are perfect for us.
  • edited December 2011
    What genre of music are you and your fiance' into?  What is you/your FH's favorite song?  That might help you narrow it down.  Below are some websites, many of these songs have been done before but who knows?  Also, you can always turn on the radio and write down any songs you like.  Pandora is great for suggesting new artists/songs.

http://www.ourweddingsongs.com/
    http://www.popular-wedding-songs.com/
    http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-songs/first-dance-music
    http://www.projectwedding.com/wedding-ideas/first-dance-songs

For me, our song has been the easiest decision yet!  My fiance' and I are huge rock music fans, so I chose my favorite song by my favorite band: An acoustic version of "Everlong" by the Foo Fighters.  (We actually got engaged at a Foo Fighters show because going to concerts has always been our thing!)   But I realize I'm an exception...

Anyway, hope this helps! 
    Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We were considering Adele's version of "Love Song," but instead settled on Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon." I actually thought the second one is super-common, but our DJ said he doesn't get requests for Sinatra. I choreographed an awesome but simple first dance because I hate just swaying back and forth.
  • edited December 2011
    omg i loveeee hold my hand from hootie, and echo from incubus.. too bad the FI doesnt like my music :( we are having such a difficult time choosing!! :(
  • themrsJRDthemrsJRD member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Our first dance is to "Warmness on the Soul" by Avenged Sevenfold... they are a metal band but this is one of their earliest songs & it's a piano ballad with a cool guitar solo.. and the words are just perfect for us! Good luck, hope you find something!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AG2AF=2012AG2AF=2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My fiance's brother just used REM's Love is all around.  It was something completely different and great!   My fiance and I are using The Hooters "I'm Alive", just a very meaningful song for us.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    262 Invited image
    164 Yes image
    38 No image
    60 Are making me drink way too much wine!!! image
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing Stay With You by John Legend  or This Year's Love by David Gray
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    271 Invited image
    186 Are ready to PARTY! image
    85 Can't make it image
    0 Have me stalking the mailbox! image
  • kmarlowe13kmarlowe13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using "Johnny and June" by Heidi Newfield
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lzmac11lzmac11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We actually danced to 2 songs.  We had a song that was a little more upbeat that we chose and we also chose a slower song.  We split them up around our parent dances and everyone loved it!!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary Vacation
  • ckassabckassab member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shania Twain "Forever Always" - it's cute! 
  • edited December 2011
    My fiancee and I will be dancing to Fly Love by Jamie Foxx.  It is part of the Rio soundtrack =).... We were watching the movie and the song played during the final credits.  I knew right away and my guy was humming it which was a good sign.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_first-dance-song-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:d490dfb7-445a-45b3-b1dd-e538adb25d27Post:385ae562-0d5d-4625-b35d-5bf215ef946d">Re: first dance song...</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had a list of songs that were ideas and one night we played them on the laptop and danced in our living room to them. Our song was the only one that made me cry. I could see us on our wedding day, dancing to it in front of all our family and friends. Good Luck!
    Posted by Kimberly0402[/QUOTE]

Which song is it?
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011

We are doing "Your Song" by Elton John <3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards