Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Folk Songs!

So the musicians I'm looking at typically play old folk songs/hymns... so I'm looking for some creative folk, bluegrass, or "old country" (think Johnny Cash, Merle Haggerd) songs that can serve as First Dance, Father Daughter Dance, etc.

Hymns are totally do-able becuase everyone in attendance enjoys them. :)

Any suggestions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Folk Songs!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    what about some of the songs from the oh brother where art though soundtrack?
    i'll fly away?
    keep on the sunny side?
    you are my sunshine?

oh and a beautiful song
    when you say nothing at all
    in any of it's versions, romantic and thanks to allison krausses steller bluegrass version very folk band freindly
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally forgot about the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack!!!

i was kind of thinking of having "I'll Fly Away" being the last song. :)

I sort of want our first dance to be to You Are My Sunshine, but I'm not entirely set on it yet... and it has to get past the FI first, haha. Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em comin!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    COUNTRY7GIRLCOUNTRY7GIRL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha thats funny im doing the same at my wedding. Bluegrass is awesome

honestly if you go to youtube and search for "banjo wedding march' i thought that was the coolest thing yet. brother where art tho is good, bill monroe is amazing. so is ricky skaggs, he has one called 'cajun moon' thats cute and upbeat. 

ummm.. tennessee earnie ford does alot of bluegrass gospel. also you have roseanne cash with 'Tennessee flat top box' which is a classic to sing along to. and a good one for a mother/daughter type dance if u do one of those is dolly parton's 'coat of many colors' .. 

roy acuff is great. also look into june carter or 'the carter' family. they were a famous group for doing good gospel and bluegrass songs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards