Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Anyone skip having a DJ?

We are having a small destination wedding with a small budget and my priorities are travel to the location, lodging, food, and photography of the event. This basically doesn't leave room in the budget for a band or DJ. Has anyone ever been to a wedding where people used a CD, iPod, or something like that for the music? How was it?

Re: Anyone skip having a DJ?

• edited December 2011
    I have never been to one, but I know that it is becoming a very popular alternative to having a band or DJ.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!

We're most likely skipping this as well.  We're doing a very small (50 people) destination wedding.  We will have a cocktail hour and dinner and I'm thinking that my FI will make an iPod mix for the occasion.  In lieu of dancing like at most receptions we're providing transportation to this beach bar we love for an after party.
  • edited December 2011
    We are skipping the dj too. Our wedding is relatively small, 75 people, and at a country club, but FI and I aren't huge dancers and don't like the weddings we've been to where the dj's nearly embarrass people trying to get them to dance. I certainly don't want anyone forcing me to dance when I don't want to, and I don't really like the whole electric slide thing at the wedding, a bit cliche really. I am putting together a list with my ipod, and instead of spending a grand on a dj I am going to rent some sound equipment for much cheaper. I'm excited about it actually, because this means every song I hear and I think "oh I want to have this song play at my wedding," will be playing at my wedding because I make the play list :)
  • SoniaYFSoniaYF member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I, too, am struggling with this question. I've been to two ipod weddings and neither had much of a dancing element. I think ipods don't lend themselves to that dancing atmosphere, where a good DJ can really help keep the flow of the dancing. So if that's important to you, I think a DJ might be worthwhile. But for both weddings, the traditional dances first dance, father daughter, etc were fine with an ipod. I'm on the hunt for an affordable DJ at the moment because I LOVE to dance:) If I can't find one, I'll probably just do the i-pod route with a friend as an MC.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have an ipod, but I'm just burning a few cd's with songs that we want played - my little brother wants to be in charge of it - pausing it when we want to stop for speaches, etc. 
  • kristenrmu22kristenrmu22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a small wedding 55-60 guest. We aren't huge dancers. We will prob use our laptop for music with wireless speakers. I do worry my guests won't get it because they are old school But the feel we are seeking is a cocktail party but with a full meal. We want ppl to mingle and enjoy themselves. I hope it works out.
  • edited December 2011
    I am a server for a local catering company and have been to a few ipod weddings. For the most part, they are awkward. First of all, there is no one to announce anything, so half the time everyone is clueless as to what is going on. The 5 seconds of silence between each song kills any dancing.
    If you just want light background music for your evenning, ipods are fine. If you want people to dance and have fun, get a DJ.
    My DJ is only $600 for four hours, so to me it is well worth it.
    Just my opinion, knotties!Laughing
  • micheymouse84micheymouse84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing iPod for most of the day... ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner... but when the party starts we're using a DJ.  They know how to keep a party alive and keep the people having a good time.  Plus, I've never been to a wedding where I didn't want to request a song or two.  I would love for my friends and family to have a say in what they hear at my wedding too.  DJs can take requests, iPods not so much.  Plus, we're keeping costs down by not having a DJ for the entire day!  Its a win-win for us! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards