Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Non Traditional First Dance Songs

My fiance and I were thinking of going with a fairly upbeat song which would be somewhat non traditional.  We have been throwing around the idea of Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.

This got me curious...is anyone else dancing their first song to something that would be considered less traditional? What did you choose or are you choosing?

Re: Non Traditional First Dance Songs

• Options
    edited December 2011
    our first dance song will (most likely) be to "slow jam" by monica and usher, which is very contemporary r&b. but, one of my bridesmaids and her husband did an awesome choregraphed dance to "ain't no mountain high enough" at their wedding :) it fit with them so well!
  • Options
    grrracegrrrace member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that Edward Sharp song is the IT song for this wedding season- I think it's gonna be sort of like Ben Folds "The Luckiest"....
    I had sort of considered the Edward Sharp song, but they have one line that says "hot and heavy, pumpkin pie, chocolate candy, Jesus Christ, ain't nothin please me more than you" - and I think my parents would be offended by that. 

I think we are dancing to, "I'm Loving You More Everyday" by Etta James
    it's a little unusual, but not really, haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Are you into The Beatles? "When I'm 64" is a good, upbeat, non-traditional choice.

• Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    UB40's Can't Help Fallin in Love is our first dance, and a much more upbeat version than the original
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Led Zeppelin - "Thank You"

It's a slow song, but people wouldn't think to choose Led Zeppelin.
    ~* Diana *~ ~* October 9, 2010 *~

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We will be dancing to Ben Folds "The Luckiest" which my mother has deemed very nontraditional ("Why can't you just dance to 'At Last'?!). I think the Edward Sharpe song would be fine, but that's just my opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_non-traditional-first-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:f0bf9515-fc75-4fe0-8672-1d7d64fe8433Post:0a8221ca-2fb1-4d8f-8152-462237129155">Re: Non Traditional First Dance Songs</a>:
    [QUOTE]We will be dancing to Ben Folds "The Luckiest" which my mother has deemed very nontraditional ("Why can't you just dance to 'At Last'?!). I think the Edward Sharpe song would be fine, but that's just my opinion.
    Posted by brintae[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha! My answer to that would be "Because EVERYONE dances to that, and I don't want to!" </div><div>
    </div><div>We're going to break a lot of norms with ours. </div><div>
    </div><div>A lot of my "First Dance" picks are also songs I'm throwing around for the processional. </div><div>
    </div><div>For a really great upbeat song, I like She is Love by Oasis (def going to be in our reception somewhere) </div><div>
    </div><div>I love I've Just Seen a Face by The Beatles, but if you want a slightly slower version Tyler Hilton did a great cover. </div><div> </div><div>I also love I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie...</div><div>
    </div><div>Yeah, all of those are significant songs to FI and I, so obviously my favorites. I would just tell you to go with your gut. If you and FI can dance to it, and you don't feel awkward dancing to it in front of people, then go with whatever song you want :)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KellySue20KellySue20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think our first song is going to be Crazy Little thing Called Love- Queen

• Options
    grrracegrrrace member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my two best friends got married last summer and they danced to Ben Folds, "the Luckiest" and Led Zeppelin, "Thank You".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards