Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

dad song that isn't corny!!!!!

I start by saying my dad is so great i wouldn't trade him for any other in the universe...however we don't have a typical "daddy's little girl" mushy kind of relationship. he's not a huggy kissy type of guy, we never danced and i was never his typical little princess. he is a strong levelheaded straight-shooter, and he is my rock . its because of him i am as independant as i am. so how do i find a song that isn't corny. all the songs i come across just don't say what i need them to. please help!!!!

Re: dad song that isn't corny!!!!!

• Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have the same relationship with my father. We are dancing to Louis Armstrong- What a wonderful world. It doesn't really mention anything about being a daddy's girl or about a father/daugther relationship. It pretty much just talks about a guy that enjoys the wonderful things in life. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

This sounds like a post about me and my dad, if you come up with anything good let me know. I'm lost!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am the exact same way, there's no way I could ever dance with my dad to Butterfly Kisses or something super cheesy like that lol. There are quite a few classic rock ballads that could work. I'm personally using Heart of Gold by Neil Young, it's a GORGEOUS song. FI and his mother are dancing to Wild Horses by the Rolling Stones.
    09/12- Dx PCOS; currently taking Metformin 1500mg.
    10/12-Married my best friend
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm having the same problem.  My dad isn't coming to my wedding so I am dancing with my future father in law and haven't decided on a song.  We are using What a Wonderful World during our ceremony so I don't want to repeat it.

Any ideas??  He would do the jive if I asked him to so it doesn't even need to be a slow song.  Help!  Thanks ladies!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Similar to my sitiatuation. If I asked for an opinion, all I got was "Whatever will make you happy" or "Ava Maria." So finally I just pick "My Girl" by The Temptations. It works. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My dad and I are dancing to "Teach Your Children" by Crosby, Stills, and Nash
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Our wedding date is Novemeber 26th, 2011

207 invited 24 accepted! 1 can't make it 86 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 4th, 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    How about "you've got a friend" by James Taylor?
  • Options
    i2012doi2012do member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have the same kind of relationship with my dad. The only time we really"talk" is for him to call me to ask if I checked the oil on my car.
    when I was in college he'd call once a month and say "got gas? got cash?...ok talk to you later"

We aren't the super mushy type. So I made my decision pretty easily, actually. My dad's two favorite musicians are Bob Dylan and Van Morrison. so I am pretty positive We are going to dance to Van Morrison "have i told you lately"
    because honestly, my dad hasn't ever said to me "i love you" so i tink "have i told you lately that i love you" will express how he feels,a nd isnt super corny mushy "i loved you first, or butterfly kisses" kinda song.

plus i feel like a lot of people will relate van morrison to my dad.
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey everyone hunting for songs... Here are some ideas:

1) The way you look tonight (it's a great ballad or a foxtrot depending on the version)
    2) Unfogettable (Nal King Cole)
    3) Isn't She Lovely by Stevie Wonder (super fun and a little more upbeat)
    4) Over the Rainbow/What a wonderful world by IZ (I can't think of his full name, but very fun to dance to).
    5) Moonlight Serenade by Glenn Miller (Big band sound/no lyrics so you can have it mean what you want it to).

I teach ballroom dancing for a living and I'm trying to think of other examples that I have taught routines to.  Hopefully this helps in some way Sealed
  • Options
    lizducowlizducow member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I also have a similar relationship with my dad - "levelheaded straight-shooter" is him to a T! He suggested the Irving Berlin song "Always." A number of artists have recorded it and most versions are very slow, but I found a faster Frank Sinatra version (from the album Sinatra's Swingin' Sessions, on iTunes) that wound up being perfect for us. It's all about neverending love and support but it manages to be not at all mushy.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    aseej4aseej4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've posted these ideas on a few boards as im in the same boat as you girls...But i'm still gunna share!

She's Leaving by The Beatles (this is the one i've picked.. until i change my mind... again!)
    Im My Life by The Beatles
    You're Smiling Face by James Taylor
  • Options
    rascal17rascal17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you asked him what he thought. Maybe look into the type of music hes into. My dad is like yours, we arent all lovey dovey daddies little princess like. My dad is into rock so we are going to be dancing to "sweet child o mine" by guns n roses
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • Options
    joshkatybelljoshkatybell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am dancing with my father to Daughter - John Meyer because its father-daughter without being mushy. My dad is a 'manly-man' haha harsh love. 

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wow thanks so much for the help ... i picked sweet child o mine by the vitamin string quartet... its a cover of guns n roses by a violin quartet its so kick a$$...hes a cool rock n roll guy but its kinda hard to dance to the real song....

at the last minute i switched to "because you loved me" by celine dion... i know its a total tear jerker but its so perfect from a daughter to a dad just to let him know how much his support and guidance meant in your life. its not really cheesy either
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Covers by Vitamin String Quartet are always great. I suggest them all the time to my customers. Here is a list of non-sappy Father Daughter songs that I normally only share with my customers: http://indieweddingdj.com/customer-wedding-music-guide/father-daughter-dance-songs/ for the rest of you who are looking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards