Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Fantastic Lighting or Fantastic DJ? Visual or Audio?

Hi all-

I’m in a quandary regarding what to choose! I thought I’d ask for opinions from other brides- I thought the music enthusiasts would understand the best.

We have a choice between two DJ’s (and have to make a decision tomorrow to secure the rate). One is a good DJ, but he is by no means a turntablist- he’s more of a trained musician who DJs. This means he understands 4/4 and can beat match easily, but he’s not, say, going to put together mash ups on the spot (and a good mash up can make a party just killer and I’ve seen it in action- even with people who don’t normally go out dancing) or use platters. That being said, he will play whatever we want to hear and, being a musician, will have pretty seamless transitions. He’s maybe not the hippest guy, but from what I saw in his videos he’ll get the job done. Given some live music reception situations we clued him into, he’s cool with bringing extra mikes if we need it- not huge, but adds to the convenience factor- he’s not nickel and diming us on that. I appreciate that principle. He’s a good coordinator, and works independently. If he falls through due to emergency, he’s got a few backups- although we admittedly don’t know anything about those guys. The Big plus with this guy is that for x price, he’ll throw in up lighting (and he's good at it). All of my friends have claimed they don’t really care about lighting at all, but after talking to a lighting designer (not someone I’m looking to hire, so he’s not trying to “sell” me, he’s just a friend), the designer indicated there’s a reason why clubs and lounges use specialty lighting- it can get people into the right mood from anything from eating to dancing- it’s just they’re not really conscious of it. I felt a little dimension would be important, otherwise it’s “a room on dimmers”- so either dining room lighting, or very dark. To me, not very “party” but- perhaps the designer exaggerates? And people don’t care? Or does it really make a difference? Please note: nothing over the top, again, just 10 or so uplights in the dancing area.

Option 2 is a PHENOMENAL DJ (he did a short set for us) from one of those large companies that contracts out DJs. Also excellent customer service and coordination and will play whatever we want to hear like Option 1, so no worries there. If something happens to the DJ, we’re completely covered- many other options. My friends have said “no one is going to care that this guy is great, they just want to hear the good songs…” and yet, in a similar example, people I’ve known claim not to care about food, but when they finally try gourmet food, they’re blown away. Not that they’re ruined for everyday food, but it’s an eye opener. I wonder if this guy’s expertise- he can do mashups, uses platters, essentially a trained "purist" DJ- will make the party better. He’s a young guy, an excellent performer (but does not distract, i.e. he won't be baby scratching the songs away) and has an energy that’s infectious. He’s fun just to watch! If you've ever been out dancing and a DJ dropped in and made you go "Oh DAMN!"- that guy. However, he doesn’t come with lighting. And, the company will nickel and dime us on things like an extra mic (not a deal breaker, we can get mikes, it’s more a matter of principle with the company that irks me some, not the DJ). We cannot afford lighting on top of his rate. I’m wondering if he’s good enough to where the flat lighting will be overridden, and that dance floor will be packed regardless.

I guess my question is- if you had to choose (or have you chosen) between heightened aesthetics with a decent DJ or an incredible DJ under blah lighting, which do you/did you think would most lend itself as extra insurance to get your crowd pumped- the aesthetics or the music?

I know it might look like an overthink, but that’s how I roll when I’m spending a decent chunk of change and don’t get a do over. Thanks in advance!

Re: Fantastic Lighting or Fantastic DJ? Visual or Audio?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_fantastic-lighting-or-fantastic-dj-visual-or-audio?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:ffd7d148-6123-499f-b872-c26f49adf3afPost:db67b168-d07b-4da3-bbe8-205933336229">Fantastic Lighting or Fantastic DJ? Visual or Audio?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<div><strong>I guess my question is- if you had to choose (or have you chosen) between heightened aesthetics with a decent DJ or an incredible DJ under blah lighting, which do you/did you think would most lend itself as extra insurance to get your crowd pumped- the aesthetics or the music?  </strong> I know it might look like an overthink, but that’s how I roll when I’m spending a decent chunk of change and don’t get a do over. Thanks in advance!  
    Posted by positivek[/QUOTE]

</div><div>Without reading all of the details you provided (sorry, it was just a little too long), I would recommend choosing music over aesthetics.  Your guests won't remember what your venue looked like, much less what the lighting was like.  They absolutely will remember if the DJ was good and they were able to dance the night away.</div><div>
    </div><div>Lighting/aesthetics are highly overrated by the wedding industry.  Go with the great music.</div><div>
    </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• positivekpositivek member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_fantastic-lighting-or-fantastic-dj-visual-or-audio?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:ffd7d148-6123-499f-b872-c26f49adf3afPost:9c6728e1-5f7c-4d52-9eb0-ba1c229b05f0">Re: Fantastic Lighting or Fantastic DJ? Visual or Audio?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Fantastic Lighting or Fantastic DJ? Visual or Audio? : Without reading all of the details you provided (sorry, it was just a little too long), I would recommend choosing music over aesthetics.  Your guests won't remember what your venue looked like, much less what the lighting was like.  They absolutely will remember if the DJ was good and they were able to dance the night away. Lighting/aesthetics are highly overrated by the wedding industry.  Go with the great music.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

Fair. Taking the lights out of the equation- after researching my face off, for what we want, idoesn't look as hard as I thought to DIY (and venue confirmed we can). So if I could ask you one more thing:
    We're now down to two guys who are essentially the same price (we ruled out the "eh" DJ with the good lights, and now considering a different guy who came into the mix). Both are very competent, solid DJs with deep collections. Their personalities are different- one is rather sedate (but can still bring the fun) the other the energetic, charismatic sort (not annoyingly or distractingly so, just really entertaining to watch spin). I prefer DJ 2's high energy personality. Both are good at reading crowds.
    The difference is their companies. DJ 1 is contracted from a very small company- we met the owner. DJ 1 brings all of his own gear, shows up super early. There's no nickel and diming for, say, a ceremony mike if needed. No charging by the hour (except OT). The relationship seems more personal. They don't take credit cards. I don't imagine a dispute, but it makes me a little nervous to not have the security of using a card...
    DJ 2 is contracted from a huge company. We have an account manager, but it still comes off as more of a corporate deal. And there's nickel and diming with extra things like an add'l mike. Charges by the hour (i.e. diff price quote to add ceremony and/or cocktail). Not a HUGE deal, it just got me thinking about how different it is from the other business model..DJ 2 doesn't bring his gear. The company does.
    It's like working with a small Mom & Pop vs. working with a corporation. Are there pros/cons to watch out for?
    Thank you!
  • We used a DJ from a larger company that closed its doors a month before our wedding.  So there is no guarantee when using a corporation.  In our case, another entertainment company took on all of the open contracts and we were still able to have the DJ we had selected.  Did it suck to get that phone call?  You bet.  Was I worried it would ruin our wedding? Not at all, because we were covered by our contract.

I'm telling you this not to scare you, but rather to emphasize that the main thing is not so much how you pay for vendors, but that you have a signed contract protecting your investment in the event of an emergency.  Being able to get your money back in a credit card dispute won't help you if you have no backup plan in place. 

So, pick the DJ who you "click" with and whose personality best fits the type of vibe you want to achieve.  If you go with the "Mom and Pop" company, make very sure that there is a backup plan in place.  If there is an emergency and your DJ can't get to your wedding, you need to know that there will be someone who can.  The company we used, they had floater DJs on call every weekend to step in just in case.  Not ideal, but certainly better than having no DJ at all.  At the end of the day, you get to be married, and that's the most important part.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• JCG- thanks for the feedback.
  • i'd definitely go for music over lights.  we picked our DJ by his ability to transition songs, keep a good vibe in the room, and use QUALITY audio (good volume, accurate leveling, etc).   it happened that they also threw in uplighting and had a simple light set at the venue....but truthfully, i barely noticed.  the uplighting was a nice touch in the room, but otherwise i didn't need a light/laser show to get into a dancing mood!

a bad song or set can completely kill a room's mood.  I've been to a couple events where the DJ cut mid-song, or played bad versions of things (unedited versions in a room full of young tweens and parents, country/dubstep/random versions, etc). 

Many times (especially with people who like to dance) FUN at a wedding is directly related to good music.

bottom line -- go for the better music.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards