March 2013 Weddings

Getting addresses from guests

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how are you getting all your guest's addresses? Most of my friends move a lot so I never really kept track of addresses. I was thinking of sending a Facebook message, but that can easily get messy. I don't really need everyone seeing everyone else that's invited, but sending an individual message is just so much work haha. Might be better though. Also I'm afraid of them replying all and spamming everyone else with messages and sending their address to people they don't know.

I'd do email, but I rarely email friends. I was going to go through FB and get everyone's email address for an e-save the date, but now FB shows the yourname@facebook.com as a default instead of your actual email, and I'm sure most people haven't changed it. I'd also do text but I'm not 100% sure I have everyone's correct numbers. Some I could ask when I see them next but I can't guarantee I'll see everyone before then. Never thought this would be something I'd be so confused about! Haha.

I may have talked myself into just doing individual FB messages and do them in stages so I don't get worn out on it.. but any other thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Follow Me on Pinterest
Planning Bio

Re: Getting addresses from guests

• I did invidual facebook messages and just basically copy & pasted what I said with a few minor changes... Wasn't too much of a pain.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I used facebook & whitepages.com to get all 130 of my guests addresses.  It wasnt as hard and draining as i thought.  Good luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone image 133 Invited
    image 120 Are ready to party!
    image 3 Will be missing out!
    image 10 Are MIA!
  • I agree with the PPs, I would use Facebook but be careful with Whitepages because sometimes that isn't updated. I did what CMMUA did for some people whose phone numbers I didn't have, and then for most people I texted them for their address. I've had two friends from college who moved since I sent the Save the Dates and they texted me their new address without me asking, so I guess they are excited!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the opinions! I think a mixture of texting for those I know I have the right #s for and individual FB messages for the rest is a good idea. I'll split it up with FI so it's not so bad. It'll be somewhat easy since I can divide them up into his fraternity brothers and my sorority sisters, then just divide out the rest, haha. He's definitely in charge of getting addresses for his family though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • It took my FI soooo long to get all of his addresses, I had to keep bugging him... hopefully yours is better! haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2013-weddings_getting-addresses-from-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:2fb7282e-ed53-4794-84c9-f5617fc97f8bDiscussion:c3f6706a-0c4e-43ca-87ab-ebec2643a72cPost:d5a5d602-5582-47f5-961e-b12279a5e98e">Re: Getting addresses from guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]It took my FI soooo long to get all of his addresses, I had to keep bugging him... hopefully yours is better! haha
    Posted by Caitlynmk[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah.. he's a little slow at getting things done most of the time. I put him in charge of the hotel block and I had to nag him a little about it.. lol. It's pretty much done, we just need to sign the contract and book our room after getting a couple questions answered.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • I was a slor gettong those addresses. I texted, emailed, called, stalked.  In the end, dont worry about sounding stalkerish, they will understand.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2013-weddings_getting-addresses-from-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:2fb7282e-ed53-4794-84c9-f5617fc97f8bDiscussion:c3f6706a-0c4e-43ca-87ab-ebec2643a72cPost:4c0ecbf7-c097-4734-913c-fbc1b4edddb9">Re: Getting addresses from guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did individual facebook messages and just basically copy & pasted what I said with a few minor changes... Wasn't too much of a pain.
    Posted by CMMUA88[/QUOTE]

This. Our parents supplied most of the family's addresses. I asked a few of our cousins and such who went away to college and things where they liked to receive mail. I would just change the message a little so i wasn't sending out the same cookie cutter message to everyone.
    I didn't do a mass email for the same reason of it getting messy. I don't like when i get mass messages for my address because i don't want to respond to a post that everyone can see.
    Personal messages are the way to go, and I don't see a problem with using facebook to collect addresses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My dad keeps a spreadsheet of family addresses, and I borrowed my FSIL's address book, so that took care of most family stuff. FI got all of his friends and coworkers and I either texted or emailed by friends. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I created a secret group on fb that I added my friends and family to. I'm using that group as a second wedding website/wedding blog to keep everyone posted on all things wedding. The group is secret, so no one can see they are even in that group, and if they don't feel comfortable sharing their address, they can always PM me their address. With persistance, I got everyone's address fairly quickly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I did the same as most people, private FB message, text and or call. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards