Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Copyrights... Important?

How important would you say it is to have copyrights/digital negatives of your wedding photos? A couple photographers I'm looking at don't give digital negatives because they want to make sure the finish is perfect on every picture you receive. They do give a web quality images.

They are amazing photogs with GREAT albums pics. Do you think negatives are a necessity?
Our beautiful engagement pictures imageMy Bio... returning from hiatus

Re: Copyrights... Important?

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I'm not sure I understand the question but high resolution images with printing rights are very important if you want to make your own album or print any of the images yourself.  Low resolution or "web quality" images like you post on Facebook are only good for that and nothing else (and may very well include their logo or watermark).  They don't want to give them to you because they want you to only buy them from them. 

Having a DVD of my images was a requirement for me.
  • Options
    It was very important for us to have a CD with photos that we had the rights to.  But we are going to make a photo album on Shutterfly or some site like that.  We also will probably print some photos ourselves (even though we do get some prints with our package).

If it is not important to you to make your own album / print photos yourselves (like if you are having an album professionally done and getting prints directly from the photographer), then it's not a necessity.
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We thought it was very important so I could print out my own pictures whenever I wanted to.  Most of those places delete them after a year is up.
  • Options
    It's important if you plan to print them yourself, without an wriiten "print Release" from the photographer most professional labs will refuse to print your images that you have on DVD.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards