Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photography Dilemma - which to choose?

We have interview a few photographers, and really like 2 of them.  However, they have tooooootally different strengths, and we are completely torn between the two:Photographer A has about 5 years of experience shooting weddings, with 1 year experience as the head photographer.  He used to work in graphic design, so he has a very design-oriented eye, and looks to get creative and unique shots.  Many of his shots are very artistic.  Rather than using the flash on the camera, he uses off camera lighting (it looks like he brings a lighting guy with him?) to get more dramatic shots, although it seems like this might be a little obtrusive.  He also is a more high-energy type of person, whereas my FI and I are a little more low key and laidback, so although we are comfortable enough with him, our personalities don't quite mesh and we aren't sure how in-your-face he'll be on the wedding day.Photographer B has a fair number of years of experience shooting weddings (oops, not sure exactly how long).  Prior to photographing weddings, she was a journalist, using all types of media.  Her focus is on the meaning of the day and of the marriage, and she likes her photographs to capture and tell the story.  She is particularly good at catching great expressions on people's faces.  However, while she can take artistic shots (especially evident in her engagement shoots), the majority of her wedding photography is not very artistic or even necessarily well-composed - aside from the catching moments part of it, it looks like I could have taken those pics.  She has a super friendly and easy-going personality, though, to the point where we feel we could easily even be friends with her.Ideally, we would love to find the perfect balance of awesome pictures and awesome personality, but that isn't quite happening with these two, as they each have their strengths.  Ultimately, I think we could be happy with either one, as neither of them are bad.  But.  It would be nice to be able to figure out which would be best.So.  Who to choose?  Photographer A with many artistic shots whose presence may be a little obtrusive, or Photographer B with an awesome personality and skill for catching moments, whose pictures are a little unimpressive?

Re: Photography Dilemma - which to choose?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I think that when you look back on your wedding it will be more meaningful to have those shots that embody the emotion of your day.  I can't get enough of going through my wedding shots with my husband tearing up when I come down the aisle, the look on his face when we had our Reveal or all of the love on the faces of our guests throughout the day.  The artistic shots are great, beautiful things to have but at the end of the day I think that it's more important to look at your pictures and be "transported" back to your wedding, to feel as if you're reliving it.  And how your personality meshes up with the photographer IS a super important component of selecting.  You are with your photog more than ANYONE else on the day of your wedding.  If you're not comfortable with them, it will show in the photos.  You want to be relaxed and be yourself, so that your photos are a reflection of you as much as possible.I hope that helps :)  Good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks kimbrout!  That was exactly the kind of information I wanted to know.  :)In thinking about it more, I think I agree with you.  While FI and I definitely appreciate artistic photography (we try to be artistic about the photos we take while on vacation even), I started thinking about what will matter most to us about the photos when looking at them 50 years from now, and the emotion and memories definitely seem like they would be most important.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would have to agree with the earlier post. Go with someone who can give you a nice blend of shots - a mix of emotional and artistic would be ideal. I personally like artistic shots and I was lucky to find someone who was able to capture both types of shots - some really dramatic shots of us along with some fun, candid shots of the crowd.But in the end, go with someone you feel totally comfortable with as you will end up being more natural in front of that photographer, resulting in better pics.Good luck!CharisseMy Photographer: www.photographybysuman.comMy Videographer: Magic ProductionsMy DJ: DJ Sandman
  • Options
    hollyjlynnhollyjlynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel like there are certain parts of the day that emit certain emotions and the photographer you pick should be able to do both. For example, getting ready: hanging out with friends, tender moments with mom and family. Those shots should be more photojournalistic with the photographer hanging back and just capturing what is happening. Bride and bridesmaid session: More artistic, creative, fun. This should have your personalities in it but your photographer should suggest things for you and your girls to do. I hate to use the word pose...but like half-pose you. This part of the day should be creative and have some epic shots in there. Same this for groom and groomsmen and bride and groom. Ceremony, reception: those should be more photojournalistic as well just to capture what is happening. The photographer does not have control of getting ready, ceremony and reception. Thus, its logical to take a more journalistic approach. However in the "sessions" of the day, the photographer has control thus it should be more thought out, creative, epic and simply awesome. If you do just photojournalistic, the session photos will probably let you down. If you do just artsy fartsy, you'll miss really emotional important moments which will also let you down. -holly gauper
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards