Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

How many hours for photographer

How long do you have your photographer for?I think Im doing five hours for mine and hoping that is enough,the reception and ceremony are at the same place so there wont be any traveling in between.

Re: How many hours for photographer

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We have ours for 10 hours. Our ceremony and reception are in 2 different places though.
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    my 2 photog. were contracted for 10 hours, but got there early and stayed later, so about 12 hours.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My contract was for 9 but my photog arrived early to the hotel where we were getting ready to get lots of getting ready shots and also stayed late to shoot a couple night shots after the reception. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had ours for 14 hours.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    unlimited
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • Options
    joebeth22joebeth22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I think certain things are tell-tale signs about a person or their work.  I haven't booked a photographer yet and am still casting about (will prob write a post today asking you girls about the one I'm considering), BUT anybody offering you just five hours is telling you a great deal about him or herself.  Something about their approach to their work, their laziness (perhaps), their lack of passion about it (perhaps), their lack of true pride in what they do -- I mean, I've heard of very few photogs contracting for so few hours for the whole shoot.  But of course, I could be wrong.  That gal who just posted "unlimited" has found herself a gem, someone who really WANTS to do a sensational job.
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    good point... that being said, id never even bother with someone saying they only want to work 5 hrs the day of your wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No they are not offering that,theres different packages and Im choosing to use them for five hours
  • Options
    kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you really need a lot of hours? The one I'm looking at offers packages, and hours are part of it....But my ceremony and reception are in the same place and my ceremony begins at six...So I'll have them coem at probably 4 or 4:30, do before and prep shots and then stay until 10:30.We only have our reception area until midnight, and knowing the people that are coming, I don't think they'll stay that long.But in the meantime, they'll get our entrance, our dances and then photos of the reception.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    hollyjlynnhollyjlynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree with joebeth22 that for full coverage of a wedding, the photographer needs time to do great work. Being with the bride all day also helps build the relationship between bride and photographer so when its time for the (what I consider to be) most important photos of the day, the bride and groom session time, everyone is comfortable with eachother since you've spent the whole day with your photographer. Shooting weddings is really hard work, it takes a lot out of you...more than you would probably think. So I do think if you are getting unlimited time with your photographer you should certainly be paying for it. With most photographers unlimited is usually only in the top package for a reason. After 12 hours of work your photographer should be about to fall over (if they have been working as hard as they should be) Typically 12 hours will cover any wedding though. We have only done one wedding that went over 12 hours even when people purchased an unlimited time package. Britt, if you are having a "normal wedding" I would say 5 hours is not enough time for full coverage. That means hair app. to after the "peak" of reception dancing. After the peak of dancing is over and people are too drunk or too tired, there isn't all that much to take photos of anymore. If you are having just a small casual wedding or don't care about getting ready photos you may squeak by with 5 hours. However, look at your photographers contract to find out how much they charge per hour after that 5 hour mark. You don't want to be at your reception seeing your photographer packing up when events are still happening (often weddings run late, so consider that as well). Personally, we have shot shorter weddings at 6 hours and that was just enough even when the ceremony and reception were in the same location. Something else to consider (this could just be me, but its an example) Pictures with you and bridal party 1 hour, groom and groomsmen 1 hour, wedding party and bride & groom session 1 hour, family photos 30 minutes, ceremony 30 minutes, reception...only an hour left and that does not include any getting ready photos. It really matters what is important to you but i would really nail your timeline down before locking down to 5 hours just to be safe because it does take time to take great photos and as always, no matter how much to plan things often do run behind so always make sure you have a well padded-timeline! :) Good luck!! -holly gauper
  • Options
    lavalorelavalore member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think that a lot of photographers are offering packages with lower hours to accommodate the brides that are either having a smaller wedding and truly only need about 5 or 6 hours, or are working with a low budget but are still trying to get a quality photographer for the event. I don't [personally] think it says anything negative about the photographers. On the contrary I think it says something quite positive that they are giving options that will accommodate a wider array of Brides needs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards