Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Printing rights?

Is it normal to not get the printing rights or a DVD of your engagement photos? The photographers I'm looking at mention that you get (or pay for) the rights to the wedding images but they dont give you a collection of your engegement photos. Your only option is to order prints from them. Any idea if this is the norm or we should steer clear of them??

Thanks!

Re: Printing rights?

• Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    This is sort of how it is with our photographer.  We get the images and rights on a DVD for our wedding, but if we wanted the same for our E-pics, it's an extra $100.  This was a little bit of a compromise for me, but much easier to swallow because our engagment session is free.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    AshRoussAshRouss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I get both with my sessions. I get the rights and a DVD along with an online catalog with my photos and options to buy.
    Cooking my way to happiness!
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got printing rights for all of my photos in my package but sometimes it is extra, depending on the photographer.
  • Options
    JackimalynJackimalyn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OK, I was a little thrown off. I mean, I'm paying so much for the photos to be taken... I want to have them!! Its weird, this photographer isn't even offering to sell us the rights to the engagement (and a potential trash the dress) session, we can only order albums. Why would I get them taken if I didn't want them?
  • Options
    ceeceed80ceeceed80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it all depends on the photographer really. it isn't uncommon. did you ask if they would be willing to sell them to you? some photographers even have options where you can choose your favorites and just buy the digital negative of those photos. i would ask to see what they are and aren't willing to do. 
  • Options
    mctricianmctrician member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's how photographers make money.  I know it sounds weird to think that you don't get all of the images of your wedding.  The photographer should have been up front with you about everything.  I'm a wedding photographer and I only give the images because I include albums in my wedding package.  The images that I give my clients are edited for color and exposure.  They do not get the artistically edited images that go into their album.  I want my clients to buy prints of those.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards