Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

What Should I Do?

My fiance and I got our engangement pictures taken in October 2011.  After the shoot, our photographer told us he would have them ready in a few weeks.  Thanksgiving passed...Christmas passed...New Year's passed. I talked to a friend whose siblings have used him previously and she said that she knew it didn't take too long, however he was getting divorced and that could have been the hold up.  I e-mailed him asking what the hold up was and he replied that he was out of the country because his dad was very ill and wouldn't be back to the states until February.  This wouldn't be a huge deal except that our save the dates are coming through him and time is ticking.  My fiance has a family friend that is a photographer and may work with us, however I feel really bad cancelling because everything is beyond his comtrol.  (He does have a partner, however it seems like he is useless).  What should I do?

Re: What Should I Do?

• When you say you feel bad cancelling on him, what do you mean? I'm assuming you already paid for him. So you'd be out money and then have to pay someone else to do it as well?

If you want to do that, I don't even see why photographer #1 would have to know. If you have already paid him, he still gets his money and never has to be the wiser that you got your STDs somewhere else. HOWEVER, I would either want my money back or want those ASAP. Does it say in your contract how long until you get the photos?

I am willing to be understanding if a vendor has family health issues, but this has been quite a few months. When exactly did he leave the country? I doubt he's been out of the country since Oct. I would contact him again and say that you understand he has extenuating circumstances, but is there any way his partner can get you the photos/STDs because your STDs need to be sent out soon. This is also where you might mention if his contract states a certain time frame that has been passed. You can always threaten legal action if you want to go that route, but I'd try contacting him first to see what he says. I also might ask for a discount/money back if it is taking longer that the contract states it would to get the product.

GL! I know how frustrating this is. I was married in July and still haven't gotten my wedding video yet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • out of the country is a lame excuse this day and age unless you specifically hired him because he uses film only.....i'm having a hard time believing that hes out of the country that long and didnt take his laptop with him, especially when he's making money off the clients who are waiting for his pictures, all it requires is him sending you files electronically no? ...a parent being ill sucks, but I can garuntee you hes not spending 60 minutes 24 hours a day at his fathers side especially if its been months, unless hes become a nurse in the meantime. Sounds sketch to me tbh.  My FI is a wedding photographer, and has taken his laptop to work with him to work on in the breaks when a deadline is getting close, i cant imagine not taking it to a forgein country when you know your going to be there a while.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Thanks ladies!  After discussing it further with my FI and parents, we are cutting him and going with the other photographer.  My mothers point exactly was that everything is digital, so it is possible to work at other locations.  In the end, it is business.  The contract did mention a 6-8 week period for wedding photos, which I feel should also apply to engagement photos as well.  Hopefully, we get our deposit back, if not it's not too big of a deal because it wasn't too much money.  
  • Check out www.shootfirstphotos.com

AH-MAY-ZING!

:) Good luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards