Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Invitation Question

I have just one more invitation question!  I know that people talk about the outer envelope and the inner envelope.  Is the inner envelope one that would go around the invitation itself?  And that's different than the RSVP envelope?  If so, I don't think I have the inner envelope.  My question is, are you supposed to address the RSVP envelopes?  And are those formal or informal?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

Re: Invitation Question

• Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have an inner envelope.  On the RSVP envelope, I just had our address where the RSVP will go to, no return address.

HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have an inner envelope either.

For the RSVP envelope I had our address and put their name and address in the top left.  I don't think you HAVE to do this, I was just being nice and figured why not.  It is an alternative to numbering the RSVP cards though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh I guess that makes sense!  I think I was thinking about it wrong!  Haha of course the RSVP would have to be returned to us.  I was thinking I had to put their address on there!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea I have this problem. The envelope we have is fancy and doesn't work really well for addressing it to people so I was thinking of getting another envelope to put everything into it. The RSVPs have one and I don't see a reason to put the people on it. I would advise numbering them some way to tell who's it is because people won't write their names on it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a related question.  Are you putting stamps on your RSVP envelopes?  We're giving the option to RSVP by email, phone, or by mail.  So I hate for all those stamps to be wasted if most people aren't going to use them.  But then I don't want to seem ungenerous.  As a compromise I was thinking about leaving the paper on the stamp and sticking it in there, so if they don't rsvp by mail they can at least still use the stamp for something else and it won't be wasted?  Am I overthinking this?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was going to put stamps on mine, but I am having mine all RSVP through mail.  I wanted to do it online, but I just don't think people in my family would do it. 

Anniversary

• Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The inner envelope is blank.  You write the guests' first names there.  On the RSVP envelope, we had the mailing address printed for us so that we didn't have to write that too. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_invitation-question-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:66e82403-9cc6-4e0d-8f78-4c9371142531Post:c8f98886-c1fd-4a98-a6f2-1909a6e038fc">Re: Invitation Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a related question.  Are you putting stamps on your RSVP envelopes?  We're giving the option to RSVP by email, phone, or by mail.  So I hate for all those stamps to be wasted if most people aren't going to use them.  But then I don't want to seem ungenerous.  As a compromise I was thinking about leaving the paper on the stamp and sticking it in there, so if they don't rsvp by mail they can at least still use the stamp for something else and it won't be wasted?  <strong>Am I overthinking this?
    </strong>Posted by nickandmerritt[/QUOTE]
    Maybe.  I read all the stuff about the RSVPs not coming back but, in the end, I wanted to make sure that I made every effort to make it as easy as possible.  I would either stick it on the envelope or not at all.  I'd be afraid that my Uncle Flighty would drop the stamp when he rips open the invitation.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_invitation-question-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:66e82403-9cc6-4e0d-8f78-4c9371142531Post:c8f98886-c1fd-4a98-a6f2-1909a6e038fc">Re: Invitation Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a related question.  Are you putting stamps on your RSVP envelopes?  We're giving the option to RSVP by email, phone, or by mail.  So I hate for all those stamps to be wasted if most people aren't going to use them.  But then I don't want to seem ungenerous.  As a compromise I was thinking about leaving the paper on the stamp and sticking it in there, so if they don't rsvp by mail they can at least still use the stamp for something else and it won't be wasted?  Am I overthinking this?
    Posted by nickandmerritt[/QUOTE]

I did this too. ( RSVPing by mail or email) I ended up putting stamps on all of them.  To my surprise I've gotten back wayyyy more mail RSVP's than email RSVP's.  I felt like it was worth it to put stamps on all of them. HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We put stamps on all RSVP envelopes.  We didn't have the phone or email option but putting stamps on the envelope seemed to be a waste no matter what, for us at least.  Out of 100, we got maybe 15 back.

Maybe not putting stamps on the envelope would make them lean towards email or phone?  I know some won't respond if you don't put a stamp on it, which I think it just stupid.  The world will not end if you forget the stamps. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to be such a post hog, but I think that, no matter how easy you try to make it for them, there are going to be people who just can't do it.  Even if you called them every day for a month, they still won't do it and they'll probably hem and haw about it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_invitation-question-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:66e82403-9cc6-4e0d-8f78-4c9371142531Post:4a24b475-d633-4e2e-b948-3ff5509e5e73">Re: Invitation Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry to be such a post hog, but I think that, no matter how easy you try to make it for them, there are going to be people who just can't do it.  Even if you called them every day for a month, they still won't do it and they'll probably hem and haw about it. 
    Posted by juliebug1997[/QUOTE]

Ha, this made me laugh because I feel like sooooo much of the wedding planning process is like this.

I guess we'll put stamps on all of them just in case.  I guess it is worth the extra thirty bucks or whatever to make sure no one thinks we're being inconsiderate?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_invitation-question-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:66e82403-9cc6-4e0d-8f78-4c9371142531Post:abadfbef-5225-4ef7-85ee-77043fdc7b9a">Re: Invitation Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invitation Question : Ha, this made me laugh because I feel like sooooo much of the wedding planning process is like this. I guess we'll put stamps on all of them just in case.  I guess it is worth the extra thirty bucks or whatever to make sure no one thinks we're being inconsiderate?
    Posted by nickandmerritt[/QUOTE]

Yea I don't want to be inconsiderate....though I feel like those who won't return an already addressed and stamped envelope will be inconsiderate.  I hate that I have to follow all these stupid rules and the guests can't even respond!  I know I will have problems with some people in my family!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We did stamp the RSVPs and randomly got comments from my mom's co-worker about how nice it was that the stamp was already on there.  I guess not everyone does that.

We didn't do an inner envelope but did put the guests names on a belly band around the invite

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The worst culprits are family.  Bill's sister, grandmother and a few others just couldn't do it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, put stamps on the RSVP envelopes.  Like PPs said, it's hard enough to get a response, but if they have to buy their own stamp - yeah, good luck on getting those back.

I numbered my RSVPs, so I could keep track of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards