Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Second Photographer Important?

First off, sorry if this is long. I am really wondering opinions on a 2nd shooter? Do you think it is worth it?

I am inbetween two photographers right now. Here are the differences:

Photographer # 1 is only on photographer ( I believe). But for $1300 we can get 8 hours of coverage, 1 album for ourselves, 2 parent albums, thank you cards, a cd with our images and printing rights, online proofing and a proof book, and $100 print credit.

Photographer # 2 is all day coverage with a second shooter. But for $1500 thats it, only the coverage and then the online proofing. She charges another $500 for a cd and printing rights and does not have prinitng packages, its all alacarte, which her prices are resonable.

I guess my big thing is is the second photography really worth it? My FSIL is a professional photography, but she is in the wedding party. So i know that at the reception she will have her camera out and will be snapping away. So its only the ceremony that we wont have her photos from.

What are you ladies opinions? Do you think a second photographer is a must? I plan on meeting with both of them in July and hopefully I just click with one and know.

Thanks in advance!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Second Photographer Important?

• edited December 2011
    It depends on many factors.  If it's a wedding of more than 250 guests, I'd say without a doubt, get the 2nd shooter.  Also, I'd ask to see exactly what type of "albums" you will be getting from the first $1300 package.  Often times an archival quality album for you and 2 parent albums can easily run $1300 alone!  Their package just sounds way too good to be true to me.  Check and see if they really mean photobooks, and see if they are printed on archival quality paper.  This is to ensure that your images are still in good shape for years to come.  Ask to see samples of the thank you cards available, and find out how big an uncropped version you could print out using the CD.  They may be putting lower resolution images on there to encourage you to buy their prints.  Also look and see what their print prices cost.  If they are very expensive, a $100 credit may only get you a few prints.

For the 2nd shooter, that can be a really great thing to have.  Often times you want to get things from different angles.  At my wedding the photographer had his assistant on the ground with the girls waiting for the bouquet and the photographer was up with me in the balcony.  In the end, the shot the assistant got of the girls below was better than the shot of me tossing the bouquet.  Also, having a 2nd shooter means that the primary photographer can concentrate on the really important shots, and the 2nd shooter can focus on getting shots of all the other little details that are going on.   

I would also suggest looking closely at their portfolios of work.    The $1300 photographer seems more like that of someone who is just starting out in the business and the $1500 + $500 for CD of images sounds more like an established person. 

I'm a wedding photographer myself, so if you'd like to post the links to their websites, I'd be happy to give you an idea of whether or not their images seem to be very good quality or not.
  • benmel31benmel31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a small wedding, 80-100 people, and we opted for a 2nd photographer.  We liked the idea of a photographer getting other views of the events.  Also, we love the idea that both photographers would be able to capture us when we see each other for the first time.  

What struck me more than the 2nd photographer was the amount of time.  We wanted our photographer to provide all day coverage.  The 8 hours of coverage may not allow for many prep pictures before your ceremony and may mean that they photographer will leave before the end of the reception.  We did not want to miss any of these moments.  

Along with the great suggestions from the pp, I would consider the time.  Hope this helps!

Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Tikki 77Tikki 77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From a photographer's viewpoint, I can say it's a huge plus to have a 2nd shooter.  In fact, I think I've decided to never shoot alone again.    2 of my last 3 weddings, one of which was last night, I hired a 2nd shooter out of my own pocket to help me shoot. There's so much going on during the wedding day, it's worth it to have a 2nd shooter whever possible.   I think from now on, I'm going to include a 2nd shooter in ALL my package options.

While I'm shooting the groom and his men preparing, my female 2nd shooter gets the bridal prep shots. Then when the bride is about ready, I show up there also and shoot some final lacing up of the dress shot's etc.

During thr ceremony, at many churches there's a balcony. Early in the day I draw up a game plan for my 2nd shooter and I.  She shoots the processional with me from another pew, until the bride walks, then she scurries upstairs to shoot the bride/father walking, but from a wide angle view up in the balcony.    NO WAY to get all that with one shooter. I stay down and shoot the bride/father from the 1st pew as they walk.

That's just a few scenarios where 2nd shooters help.  If it helps the photographer, it helps YOU, the client.  You will get a greater variety of shots and angles.
     You just have to weigh the monetary options.
    Nashville Photographer.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! We did two, and I agree with PP...if you can swing it, it's a good thing. Many of my favorite shots were the candids and non-posed shots that our second photograher took...because we weren't focused on her, she captured the emotion in a beautiful way...I would recommend!! GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards