Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Videographer, is it worth it?

Hi all,
I have pretty much blown my budget already but was told by many that I just have to have a video of the big day, and that the pictures of that day just won't be enough. So I am asking for opinions on the matter. Is it a necessary keepsake  or should I save a few bucks?  I mean at this point whats another $1000?

Re: Videographer, is it worth it?

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did not have a video and I regret it.  We splurged on photography and while we were thrilled with our photos, I still wish I could see my ceremony again at least once.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's not so much "watching your wedding" for me.  Thirty years later, I would love to hear my grandmother talk, see my grandfather laugh and dance, see my inlaws (really, I liked them!) hear their voices one more time as they celebrated with me.  You can't put a price on that.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    katheriner89katheriner89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thats why I want a video! So I can hear my grandpa's voice & see him smiling while walking me down the aisle. But the cheapest I've found around my area is $1,100 for 4 hours!! :(

I say do it. Even if you find a family member to do it. It may not be the best quality, but atleast you can still see everything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thats why I want to do it, simply because I don't want to regret it in the end.  I dont know if they travel upstate because they are based out of NYC but maybe you can try GT Modern Creations, they are extremely affordable and are excellent.  I was recommended to them by another knottie. 
  • Options
    GolfChick78GolfChick78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with wanting it, but we decided it's not worth the $1k+.  My grandparents have an actual LP record of their wedding.  My dad set up a simple cassette tape recorder so they can hear their vows and the readings, etc.  We're just going to set up a handi-cam on a tripod and let it run.  A friend is going to work it just to get some of the key moments of our reception like the toasts or cutting the cake.

At the end of the day, we don't need or even want a highly produced video that tries to do a storybook telling of our day; we just want the important stuff recorded for posterity and a tripod can do that just fine.  We also splurged on photography and felt that was the right decision.  We're skimping on video, but that doesn't mean we won't have it to show our kids and for us, we think that's the right decision, too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I’m a videographer, and I love my in-laws, but when I turned the video camera duties over to my future sister-in-law, she forgot the camera and we were left with only the photographer… that was 13 years ago.  I’ve since created a video montage of our photos to somewhat ease the pain of not having a video, but it just doesn’t compare.  I long too hear my father-in- law’s squeaking voice as he gave away his daughter – pricelessJ.  Bottom line, don’t skimp on the video; in this day and age it’s a small price to pay. Not to mention, use the opportunity to capture family heritage … sadly, even in times of joy, it may be the last time you’re able to hear a loved one’s voice.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't think I wanted it because I didn't want to spend the money on something I didn't think I would really watch and I hated the idea of being video tapped.  But at the last minute I decided to go with a low budget videographer just so I would have something.  I really regret it.  The videographer was terrible.  He didn't record any sound and just captured the backs of our heads.  He missed my step sons walking down the aisle,which was what we really wanted.  The quality was terrible, too. Anyway, it was so awful that I didn't even watch the whole thing.  Now I really, really regret not getting a good videographer. 

I would recemmend getting a decent videographer.  It doesn't have to be the best, but something that will capture the moment.  I really regret that I didn't put more time and money into it.  I will never be able to get it back. 

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I didn't have a videographer and I don't regret it. It wasn't in the budget and I didn't want to go over budget by 1k for a video. We also agreed that it would rarely get watched, if ever. I also really wanted the photographs to turn out well and part of me was worried about the videographer/video equipment getting in the way of some pictures.

If you can afford it and it is something you really want then go for it. But if it isn't in the budget and you aren't dying to have it then don't waste the money. You don't want to start your new life with your hubby in debt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I remember reading countless times in Bridal magazines how much I would regret not having video. I nver gave it much thought (I'm not a fan of seeing myself on tape). My Hubby and I splurged on a photographer for our Dec 18th wedding and I am so excited to see the pics (he was amazing!)

But, I would give anything to have video of my Maid of Honor and Best Man speeches. Both speeches were witty and funny and somehow managed to bring tears to my eyes in the end. I've seen some previews from the photographer and can't say enough about how amazing he was; but I know that you cant capture those speeches with just pictures.

Move some money around if you can and just do it. I brushed it off until that exact moment when my MOH made me cry. It's the only thing I would go back and change about the most awesome day ever.
  • Options
    mespence47mespence47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A bride I recently talked to said to me when I told her I was engaged, "If you have the money, get a videographer.  It's the one thing I look at and really do not regret splurging on." GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards