Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

cost of albums

Hi Everyone!  I'm in the beginning of the wedding planning phase.  Photography is really important to me, and the albums are really important to my parents.  Most of the photographers I'm looking at online don't list their album prices.  It looks like some photographers include one album in a package, but I would also like parent albums and small albums to give to my attendants.  Can anyone give me some guidance on how much I should expect to pay?

Thanks so much,

Anne

Re: cost of albums

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When you start meeting with photographers, they will have their pricing with them.  Prices will depend on the size of the album, how many pages, etc.   For example, a coffee table album for you and your husband will be more than an 8x8 parent album.  Albums are expensive, and even if you go with a more "budget" photographer, most still use the same companies for their professional albums as the more expensive ones.  Definitely look at actual albums when you meet with photographers to make sure they do indeed provide professional quality flush mount albums.

Although we got an album from our photographer in our package, I made an album for my husband's parents and a photo book for my mother.  The professional album that I made DIY was $400.  The same album from my photographer would have been twice that.  Reviews are in my bio.

For my mom, I just did a little photo book through Blurb that was $50 and she loved it.  I would make sure you get a DVD and the rights to your images and make albums for your parents, grandparents, friends, etc. yourself rather than buying them through your photographer.  HTH.
  • PeacefieldPeacefield member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We saw a price list when we met with our photographer.  There are so many choices:  size, number of pages, leather choices, cover options, printing options, etc., it's probably not possible to indicate album prices on a website.
  • woodfrogswoodfrogs member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

The reasons that albums are expensive are the design time, you're paying for their knowledge, expertise and time to design your book. The photographer will also touch up any images that are going into the book, so that everything looks the best it can be. Prices will also vary depending on the type of paper used in the album, the material for the cover, and how many pages. With the design options available in todays "digital" albums, you can have pretty much anything you want.

• hannahhannah1hannahhannah1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could always pay for the services now, and then do the albums later when you have more money. Anyways, I am made a blog about weddings with tips and DOS and DON'TS for future brides. I guess I just can't get enough of this wedding stuff. You should check it out, because I just wrote about Photography. 

• drphotodrphoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a professional photographer and doing fantastic albums is VERY time consuming.  The albums alone can run anywhere from $100 into the thousands at my cost.  Some of the best albums come from italy and new zealand. They're both handcrafted and take months to deliver.  If a lower quality blurb album will satisfy your mom, then don't waste money on the photographer's album.  Do your homework about the products they are using and make an informed decision.

All the best,
    Corey Schwartz
    Desert Ridge Photography
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards