Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photographers running around in front of video cam during ceremony?

Do wedding photographers generally have a set of guidelines they follow (aside from church rules) rules with taking photos during the ceremony? What about conduct with videographers at weddings? Are there typically unspoken rules regarding respectful behavior? I have recently observed a photographer working a wedding ceremony, and positioning themselves in front of a stationary video camera, standing up, and completely disregarding the videographer, it makes me wonder if the bride's parents desire that or not. Doesn't seem very professional, I've seen this take place twice!
What's youur take? from what perspective?

Re: Photographers running around in front of video cam during ceremony?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes. my photographers stayed completely on the sides of the ceremony, didn't get in front of any cameras or guests, and were incredibly considerate. They are professionals.
    If you're concerned about this, just discuss this aspect with your photographers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't talk about others, but we do it like this:
    Permission and restrictions from the venue/officiant
    Discussion of placement with videographers or other vendors
    Then, the primary shooter is in front of the first pew ONLY for the procession. The secondary shooter stays at the back pew. The moment the bride and father make it to the 3rd or 4th pew, we drop to the back and sides and remain moving around on the sides and, at most, a quarter of the way up the aisle. 
    That's about it. Usually there is plenty of communication, but you can find problem vendors in every category. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If the photographer and videographer are from the same company, I think they are more likely to work well with each other.  If they aren't, introduce them to each other before the ceremony and ask them to talk about a strategy to keep them out of each other's way.

Do NOT assume anything, however.  If you want them to stay out of the aisle, tell them so; if you want them to stay away from the front altogether and use a long lens, tell them so BEFORE the wedding so that they can bring the right equipment.  (Keep in mind that this may eliminate certain close-ups).

My videographer parked herself right in front of the groom's brother during our vows--she didn't even duck down!  I had never thought to tell her not to do this, because I assumed she'd stay back.  I was totally mortified.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input... I am with the video company. We met them upon arrival, and they were friendly; but started getting more and more arragant through the day. The one in question knew exactly what he was doing as he stood up walking back towards my partner's camera, smiling. By then, it was really too late to do much of anything, without adding further distraction.

We generally have no idea who the photographer is prior to the day of the wedding. This was a newer ATL photographer. Seemed to be very proud of himself. 
  • Options
    angybanezangybanez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_photographers-running-around-front-of-video-cam-during-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:5cbd5ddd-3bb7-4338-b35c-750ec9bbe2eePost:b71d094a-e81d-49a0-bb9e-6496cb07e7aa">Re: Photographers running around in front of video cam during ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If the photographer and videographer are from the same company, I think they are more likely to work well with each other.  If they aren't, introduce them to each other before the ceremony and ask them to talk about a strategy to keep them out of each other's way. Do NOT assume anything, however.  If you want them to stay out of the aisle, tell them so; if you want them to stay away from the front altogether and use a long lens, tell them so BEFORE the wedding so that they can bring the right equipment.  (Keep in mind that this may eliminate certain close-ups).  My videographer parked herself right in front of the groom's brother during our vows--she didn't even duck down!  I had never thought to tell her not to do this, because I assumed she'd stay back.  I was totally mortified.
    Posted by raspberrytart[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this! You need to set the ground rules for both your videographer and your photographer. Working with videographers I'm always watching out where they are to make sure they're not in my way or vice versa. However, if you want close-up of your rings or a close up of your and your groom with the backdrop of the audience then obviously the photographer will need to be up close. Videographers can edit their videos and photographers can ensure they do not have the videographers in the frame (and vice versa), but again communication is key. Find out what shots you want from the photographer that is very important to you and let the videographer know to make sure they are not in the shot, and vice versa. Unfortunately sometimes it cannot be helped so a few of my wedding shots has the videographer behind the priest with his camera lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't find it appropriate to come on here and ask us a question that, I would think, YOU as the professional would already know.
    Way to waste our time on you.
  • Options
    zeuswedding1zeuswedding1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that asking the question was a waste of time. It would've been helpful to know who was asking from the beginning, but it doesn't mean your answers were useless. It should help a videographer to seek input from people about what they expect or think is appropriate. There were a lot of good answers! Laughing

Personally, I think it's the videographers job to talk to the wedidng couple quite specifically about what they do and don't want filmed a certain way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I prefer photography over videography and I'll tell the videographer to stay out of the way of the photographer. But, I think it all depends on the prefrence of the bride.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards