Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photography - What should I get in the package

I NEED HELP!!!

I have met with a few photographers and they have thrown their packages at me with all of their pricing. Some have been way too confusing and that has kinda turned me off.

Can you tell me what I should look for in a package?? There seems to be so many different options out there...How do I know what I really need??

Thanks!

Re: Photography - What should I get in the package

• edited December 2011
    That's a hard one to pinpoint because it's a really personal decision. 
    Can you share what some of the options are that they are giving you? 

Some of my big things were:
    photography style
    all day coverage
    2 photographers
    reproduction rights
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • lwolfflwolff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have one that offers all day coverage with 2 photographers, an engagement session, Slideshow at the event, Thank yous, and online proofing. for $2300.

Another is offering all day coverage with 2 photographers, engagement session, slideshow, online proofing, and a 9x13 album and bridal registry certificates for $3399

I can add a high resolution disc with printing rights for $1000 to the second package.

Which do you think is the better value??

Both offer Photojournalistic style.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_photography-should-package?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:64b6e265-0378-4bcb-b3c7-2cd7b6978655Post:22cc583c-bfec-4fad-a9de-46eea92ffa27">Re: Photography - What should I get in the package</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have one that offers all day coverage with 2 photographers, an engagement session, Slideshow at the event, Thank yous, and online proofing. for $2300. Another is offering all day coverage with 2 photographers, engagement session, slideshow, online proofing, and a 9x13 album and bridal registry certificates for $3399 I can add a high resolution disc with printing rights for $1000 to the second package. Which do you think is the better value?? Both offer Photojournalistic style.
    Posted by lwolff[/QUOTE]

<div>I personally would go with the first package - IMO the album and certificates don't really add up to the difference in costs? </div><div>
    </div><div>Can you get a disc w/ rights from the first photog? </div><div>
    </div><div>Have you compared "ala carte" print pricing from each photog?</div>
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Agreed. It depends on preference.

Rights & Coverage are up there in importance. I met with a bunch of photographers....ala carte was not working for me..by the time I added everything up that we wanted it was way over budget & I wouldn't be getting nearly enough.

In the end we went with a photographer/videographer package, all day coverage with 2 shooters, epic session, all rights, 2 parent albums, flush album for ourselves, thank you wallets, 12x18 portrait...& I could go on....we got such a deal!

I knew this was our photographer because aside from the amazing package...we hit it off very well!! FI & I got along great with him & his wife ( who are our shooters for the day!)

GL & HTH!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    While what is included in the package is important, I think it's also very important how you click with the photographer's personality.  Are you leaning towards one or the other more in terms of how you clicked with them?  So much of your time is spent with your photographer (more than any one else, including your FI) on your wedding day, that you want the person to be someone you get alone well with.

To answer your question, I really wanted rights above everything else for printing.  It is so expensive with some photographers to print images.  After that, we really wanted an epic session so that my then FI could get to know the photographer ahead of time and feel more comfortable in front of the camera.  He hates getting his picture taken and I wanted him to have time to become comfortable so that in our wedding pictures he would be natural and not stiff. 

Good luck with your decision!
  • edited December 2011
    If you like both photographer's personalities and style the same then I would go with the first package b/c it seems like you get the most value for your money and you could always DIY and album or hire someone to make you and album for the difference in cost of the two packages.

Our package included: all day coverage, 2 photographers, rights to images, CD of all pics, printed proofs, album, 2 parent albums, online gallery and thank you cards
  • lavalorelavalore member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this is what my sister got in her photo package:

high res cd (with print release)
    online gallery with printing
    8x10 custom flush mount album
    $350 print credit
    8 hours coverage 
    (and she stay for like an extra hour or so and didnt charge her for it)

The package was $3600.
    The photos were awesome and i plan on using her for my wedding next year.
    She is based in Atlanta but i think she covers weddings all along the east coast. send me a message if you want the link.

-sammie :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards