Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Should I Fire the Photographer? Or Just cancel the Engagement shoot?

So my photographer had to cancel our engagement shoot last weekend because of a last minute wedding shoot, and my fiance, Lee, doesn't want to trust him anymore because of this.  We've rescedualed for this weekend, but Lee says that it's not worth using this photographer because I've had a friend do some engagement photos with us just in case his boss over schedualed him, but I feel guilty about canceling on him because of these photos we've already done and because I was in photography school with him.
I'm afraid if I fire him I won't be able to find another photographer except for my friend whose had no experiance shooting weddings because I picked 9-10-11 as my date.
What should I do?  And what should I tell him if I do cancel the shoot.

Re: Should I Fire the Photographer? Or Just cancel the Engagement shoot?

• JennigoesUSAJennigoesUSA member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would not fire him, I don't see a reason to. An engagement session is easily re-scheduled where a wedding is not. I can see why he would take the wedding and reschedule the e-session. I would let him know though that you were not happy about it maybe ask for a discount on the e-pics
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    funny story I'm the discount on the printed photos since I work for a printer.  Thanks for the advice
  • mascarocmascaroc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's kinda rough...but it sounds like this photographer is just inexperienced in protocol. I would definitely sit down or phone him and tell him straight up your plan... i.e. "We're really thinking about asking you for our deposit back and cancelling you for our wedding because you cancelled. We completely understand that you wanted to takeup the opportunity to shoot that other wedding for the money...we know times are tough. But I feel like I need to be securing a photographer who I know will be at my wedding and won't bail last minute...."

Personally, I've been in and around the wedding business for a very long time. Newbies need to be given a chance, but need to know your displeasure as well.
  • edited December 2011
    Agree with what pp said already... I wouldn't fire him but take advantage of it. He cancelled on you to make more money elsewhere- make him feel like he needs to fork some of it over to you. Express your concerns that you can't trust him to hold your wedding date if a "better deal" comes along, that you understand his desire to build his business and get more bookings but that he wasn't really available to shoot the other wedding that weekend (and should not have booked the wedding without asking you first if you could reschedule) because he'd already booked a session with you, and what would he have done about/how would you be compensated for your engagement session if that was the only weekend you could have done it.
    That way, you'll be letting him know that he's skating on thin ice with you and it will be up to him to "win" back your good graces. Having a bride who had a bad experience and spreading her story all over the internet is NOT something he's gonna want to happen- he'll step up and make it worth your while. OR if he doesn't, then it really will be time to give him the boot and start reviewing him on every website you can find.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks guys I was able to talk him down on price
  • edited December 2011
    You're having a cow and giving your photographer (whom you are going to have to get along with all day during your wedding) a bad time because he rescheduled an engagement session?  Seriously??  And you all wonder why the term 'bridezilla' exists.  I feel truly sorry for your photographer.  I hope that you haven't damaged the relationship to the point that he feels uncomfortable on your wedding day and your images suffer because of it.  It isn't like he just left you high and dry, waiting around for him to show up for the engagment session.  He was professional and RESCHEDULED for pete's sake. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_should-fire-photographer-just-cancel-engagement-shoot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:75b5ef04-8328-4ba8-a5c0-4e1f3aae25dcPost:f4c01bee-2922-4edf-bac9-ca222e330a48">Re: Should I Fire the Photographer? Or Just cancel the Engagement shoot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're having a cow and giving your photographer (whom you are going to have to get along with all day during your wedding) a bad time because he rescheduled an engagement session?  Seriously??  And you all wonder why the term 'bridezilla' exists.  I feel truly sorry for your photographer.  I hope that you haven't damaged the relationship to the point that he feels uncomfortable on your wedding day and your images suffer because of it.  It isn't like he just left you high and dry, waiting around for him to show up for the engagment session.  He was professional and RESCHEDULED for pete's sake. 
    Posted by shannonp10[/QUOTE]
    I think that the opposite is true.  If the OP booked her photographer for a date, he should honor that unless he had an emergency.  Canceling on a client to take another job is very unprofessional.  I would have my doubts too.  I
  • KbensonKbenson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From the perspective of a photographer, once your committed (be it an engagment shoot or wedding) your committed that day. Your friend should have asked you if rescheduling would be okay first. Just rescheduling without your permission first is a shady act that your finace would be right to feel uncomfortable about.

Especially because you have a history of being classmates with this you have to watch out. The casual atmosphere of school could mean that he isn't viewing you like a real paying client (which I am assuming you are). One tip, I would not "fire" him from the engagement session and keep him as the wedding photographer. The wedding is the more important of those two days and the day you need to have 100% trust your photographer will be there for you and your husband in every way.

Best of luck!
    www.republicoflove.org to see my wedding photography, www.katebenson.com to see my commercial photography.
  • edited December 2011
    Um, RUDE shannonp10. You're awfully bold to be bashing someone you don't even know who had a legitimate complaint. If you have nothing productive to say, then don't say anything at all. 

It's super unprofessional to bail last minute, and I totally understand why you have your apprehensions! I agree with mascaron, it's good to let him know that you weren't cool with the way he handled the situation and talk about how you're contemplating a different photographer.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards