Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photographers w/ no studio

Hi All!
I've been visiting a lot of photographers and have noticed that quite a few do not have their own studio and meet me either in their home or a meeting spot (ie hotel). Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you feel comfortable with photographers that do this? I felt a little awkward myself but maybe I'm overreacting.

Re: Photographers w/ no studio

• Options
    lana2007lana2007 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most photographers don't have studios. Why should they? They take photos at weddings, there is no reason to rent an expensive space monthly..  No reason to worry if you are meeting someone at starbucks. If their site is legit, relax ;)
    With love from Chile... I blog. Check it out here: www.lanarenee.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It all depends.

I met my cake lady in her home today, where she does her fantastic work, and that doesn't bother me at all - her house is beautiful and clean, I would understand being weary if it were not, but with photos it isn't unusual not to have a studio I don't think.

It has to do with experience level, years of practice etc. If you're uncomfortable, ask for portfolios, and references most importantly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If they just shoot weddings... why should they have a studio.  My photographer took us out to dinner and we talked and got to know each other. 

Meeting somewhere in a resturant and just having coffee would be a good spot in a nice big booth.  Just somewhere private to talk works.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    atomicphotoatomicphoto member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont see any reason why someone who only shoots weddings needs one. They would only use it to meet with people on occasion and it would just sit there the rest of the time. Plus this would only serve to increase their overhead and that cost would just be passed on to the customer. So is it really worth paying More for your photography just so that they have an office/studio? Or would you prefer to save a few hundred dollers on your package because they dont have the costs of a studio space to factor in?
    I personally prefer the personal and more casual interactions that come from meeting  in common places or the home.
  • Options
    moyajenechkamoyajenechka member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The wedding photographers do not need a studio, since they do not shoot in the studio.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's pretty common.  It's a way to keep costs down for people who just shoot wedding photos.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    saba51995saba51995 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone.  This was very helpful.  By the way, congratulations to each of you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The photographers I know that photograph only weddings do not have the experience or the knowledge to provide other types of photography.
    This means they may not know their equipment they way they should.
    When looking at a photo ask them what specs they shot in and why.
    Wedding Photography has become very watered down in this digital age.
    Most low budget photographers don't know what manual mode is let alone how to shoot in manual. If you cannot see the detail of a white dress run away.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Our photographer doesn't have a studio.  She has only been doing it for 3 years and does an awesome job.  I wouldn't worry about it, but make sure you look at previous weddings or shoots they have done so you can see what kind of pictures they take and if that is what you would want. 
    She gave me a website where all her pictures were so I could see different poses and get ideas.
    For our engagment photos we took them at two different parks and at our farm.  I liked this because it is with things that we like to do with eachother in our every day lives.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    GenesisMossGenesisMoss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there! And Congratulations!

Rest assured that a LOT of photographers don't have studios if they specialize in wedding photography. I'm a photographer in CA in we do all sorts of photography in addition to weddings and our studio is in our house. In this economy, a formal studio location is a luxury that most of us don't want to waste money on when it's not necessary. Additionally, most young couples/families today don't like the traditional studio look because they want more contemporary backdrops such as parks, playgrounds, urban settings like city streets, etc.

If a photog ONLY does weddings then a studio (in home or not) is a moot point because everything is done on location. Living in Los Angeles, I can even attest to celebrity photographers that garner $20,000 commissions on weddings that don't even have studios. Some of these photographers have even had their work published in magazines such as this one (I can name one right off the top of my head - Jasmine Star Photography).

The most important thing is the portfolio and references. If that's all good - then you're in great shape! Wink
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards