Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Not photogenic couple

My fiancée and I started taking our engagement pictures. During the process, we realized that neither of us are very photogenic. My fiancée is a photographer, so he's used to being the one behind the lens instead of in front of it, and I look drunk in most of my pictures. :) Do you have any tips or poses for feeling natural and not awkward while the camera is flashing?

Re: Not photogenic couple

• edited December 2011
    Maybe you need a different photographer. I think a photographer should be able to get good shots of you, or help you get comfortable so he can get good shots.
  • edited December 2011
    Sometimes there isn't much a photographer can do if the couple doesn't like how they look in their photos, or isn't too comfortable in front of a lense.  To a degree, the photographer can help you pose, help lighten the mood, etc, but in the end, you just might not like how you look, which isn't the photographers fault. 

You can practice smiling in front of the mirror so you know how a look you like feels, you can give each other a quick kiss which normally makes you smile naturally, or you can think of something funny, which might make you giggle and have a more natural look.  You can joke around and have fun with your fiance too....every second doesn't have to be posed....the relaxed look you have after loosening up a bit by having fun will translate to a nice posed photo. 

Have fun and good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    My FI doesn't much like being in front of the camera, but during our engagement photos, we just talked and joked and laughed with each other (plus our photographer was really easy to get along with). We had a few funny pictures that were taken when we were messing around or making weird faces but they actually turned out really well! So just relax and try to forget that someone is taking pictures of you, have fun with your FI, and it will reflect in the final pictures!
    "Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love." - Albert Einstein
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_not-photogenic-couple?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:7a1117bd-616b-4599-b350-130da90f4de7Post:fd9710ff-9497-4295-a93f-e2b03aac1f46">Re: Not photogenic couple</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI doesn't much like being in front of the camera, but during our engagement photos, we just talked and joked and laughed with each other (plus our photographer was really easy to get along with). We had a few funny pictures that were taken when we were messing around or making weird faces but they actually turned out really well! So just relax and try to forget that someone is taking pictures of you, have fun with your FI, and it will reflect in the final pictures!
    Posted by TheKnittingJedi[/QUOTE]

Same thing with us.  My FI was more than freaked out when we got there telling me it was a bad idea... I just teased him and we laughed and joked (and even point out that it was awkward to have someone taking our pictures) but if you look at our pictures you'd never know it.  We just look really happy or really peaceful.

Good luck!
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• edited December 2011
    My FI is a photographer too.. and neither of us are very smiley. I find I like the photos a lot more if we just have a natural face on. We don't have to be smiling, thats not us! Of course he knows his angles so don't let the photographer take total control. These are your shots as well and if you want something, ask for it. We wanted a silhouette shot  that the photog never planned on doing and it ended up being out favorite shot.

Also.. ask for raw files. Let your FI photoshop them how he wants. His style may be much different than the photographer, and unless he has the raw files he wont be able to do what he wants with them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'd be careful about approaching your photographer asking for their raw files. They may be completely fine with it!:) I am a wedding photographer and I would not release my raw files to a client. My post processing is part of my brand and helps maintain my reputation in my community. Once I release a raw file I have no control over the end product. I'm hoping you hired a photographer that you trust and respect and whose style you enjoy! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards