Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Catholic Priest

Does anyone know if it is possible for a Catholic ceremony to be held outdoors?  From what I've read, this is not possible, but thought I'd ask on here.  There is a priest at the Old American Catholic Church - St. Matthias in Rockwall - who will officiate an outdoor wedding that "counts" in the Catholic diocease as a sacramental marriage.  However,  he is booked on our date.  Any insight?

Re: Catholic Priest

• Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you sure he said outside and not outside the church (but in a chapel)?  The only reason I know that a Catholic wedding can be held out of a church is in extreme circumstances.  The only extreme circumstance that I know of is if a wedding needs to take place in a hospital.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, only in special circumstances can a Catholic wedding take place outside a Catholic church, and one would have to obtain a dispensation.  I would do some research on that priest and make sure he is not a renegade.
    ~Malori, proud Army fiancee to Mark~
  • Options
    edited December 2011

In very rare circumstances a priest can get a dispensation to perform a ceremony outside of the church.  However, these involve situations like the one Julie mentioned, and sometimes a priest will co-officiate at another church if a member of the bride's or groom's family is clergy and is also officiating (although most of the time, the wedding is held in the Catholic church and the priest delivers the homily and blesses the marriage).

The Catholic church views marriage as sacred, and as such it must take place within the walls of the church.  I have never heard of a priest who would perform a marriage outside and that marriage be viewed as sacramentally valid.

Also, I don't think this church is Catholic like most other churches are Catholic.  Any church with a "YES, WE REALLY ARE CATHOLIC" disclaimer on their website should throw up some serious flags.

Anniversary

• Options
    courtski2004courtski2004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_catholic-priest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:696c457d-68a9-43b8-a6c0-c67830b06e62Post:3c50b991-1876-4651-b424-98d745329a5e">Re: Catholic Priest</a>:
    [QUOTE]  Any church with a "YES, WE REALLY ARE CATHOLIC" disclaimer on their website should throw up some serious flags.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

This. Very odd...  <p align="center"><strong>Are They Really Catholic?</strong> <strong>Yes we are!</strong></p><p align="center"><strong>How can this be?</strong></p>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Old American Catholic Church is NOT a Roman Catholic Church and not part of the Diocese of Dallas. I don't know if your marriage would be recognized by the Catholic Church--you'd have to do research. It could be a yes or no.

However, Catholic ceremonies are held in churches for a reason--it's a celebration of the community, among other reasons.
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards