Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Engagement photo make-up

Can anyone give me some low down/advice about what kind of makeup to wear for our engagement photos? I have very sensitive skin (acne prone, but thankfully clear now), and I normally use Bare Minerals makeup, but I've heard that mineral makeup can make you look really shiny in photos... 
I'm also not sure what kind of footwear I should do... I have a great pair of brown leather knee high boots that I pretty much wear all the time (in the fall/winter), but my friends think I should wear heels. I'm about 4 inches shorter then my FI, so I could probably get away with it, but I'm not really a high heel sort of girl... suggestions? Planning on wearing either skinny jeans or black leggings, can't decide which ones make my thighs look less like big giant tree trunks... ugh... ;)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Engagement photo make-up

• Makeup I am no real help. I went to the makeup counter I go to regularly at Nordstrom and had them do a trial for me. I did let them know this would be for photos and it turned out great. Wear whatever shoes you are comfortable with. If you are not comfortable it can show in the photos.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Any mineral make up does not look good in pictures.  I would go with a liquid foundation.  Try going to clinique and have them find something that will work well with your skin.  

If heels aren't your personality don't wear them.  The pictures are about you and your personality.  Wear what you feel comfortable in.  Your photographer will make you look amazing :)
  • I use Glo Minerals makeup - it's mineral-based, but it's a liquid, so you get a nice matte finish, but it's still perfectly fine for sensitive skin.  I originally came across it at a day spa, but I purchase it online now, and I'd highly recommend it.

As for the shoes thing, wear what makes you feel like you, not what your friends think someone "should" wear in engagement photos.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Well, it was the liquid concealer that I regret, looking at my engagement photos. Didn't match my skin tone, though recommended to me at Sephora. The powder foundation (not mineral) was fine for the first 2 hours. Also not a fan of my pressed powder eye shadow. Too shiny (as in the pearl trend).

Note: Our shoot began at 4pm. I did my make-up at noon, then went to a party, then the shoot at 4pm. Between putting on my make-up and doing the photos, I only had time to use blotting paper. I had used lots of finishing powder. So when I say there was a problem with my foundation at the end, the end was effectually 6 hours after I put on my make-up. Only my shiny eye make-up looks shiny in the pictures (not my forehead or cheeks or nose), and that's how it was designed, though I couldn't tell in the package.

Also, now that I have an album of engagement photos, I find that the printed image is pretty forgiving, especially if you do matte finish, which doesn't show finger prints, and don't do huge prints. So if you want the engagement photos for save-the-dates or a guest book, don't worry too much about make-up details.

I also wish I had worn brighter lipstick, or at least re-applied it after the luncheon party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards