Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photog - too pricey or worth it?

My latest stress in the journey to plan my wedding is photographer.  We are paying for most of the wedding ourselves, so we are definitely looking at inexpensive options.  However, the photography is high prioroty for me. 

My fiance told me that he thought a good price for a photographer would be between $650-800.  I laughed in his face.  (Yes, I know that is rude, but seriously?) So since it is far more expensive than that, he wants to use his cousin who IS a professional, but offered to do the photography as our wedding gift, and that we should then just have to pay for the prints. 

He does a great job.  I have seen his work.  But my stress around it is that he would in any other circumstance be a guest at this wedding.  And his wife will STILL be a guest at this wedding. 

Will the fact that this is a family wedding with all of us there mean that I get less pictures?  I mean, I am sure he will be professional (and not drink and stuff), but if this is my only photographer, am I going to get the best?

Thoughts?

Re: Photog - too pricey or worth it?

• Options
    inkulio73inkulio73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't you want him there as a guest to enjoy himself and your special day?  If you and your fiance don't care about that, then by all means hire him.  If he is a professional, he will do the same job he would for any of his clients.

FWIW, I would never shoot a friends wedding or family member's wedding for free.  You're either a client or you're not.
  • Options
    drphotodrphoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I personally would not accept a relatives services as a gift.  It's just begging for problems.  $650-850 is about what I would expect to pay someone who has never shot a wedding.  For someone with experience and backup equipment I think you're looking at a range of $2,000 - $3,500. 

Regardless of who shoots I would strongly recommend a second photographer.  Insist that the second is a seasoned pro that is capable of shooting the wedding on his own in case the primary has some kind of problem. 

Best,
    Corey Schwartz
    Desert Ridge Photography

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you could use the cousin for the main photographer (to at least get the ceremony, the portraits, cake cutting and the dances) and hire someone not so great for later on in the reception and for reception candids?
  • Options
    ceeceed80ceeceed80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Contracts.... You must sign a contract with him. He still needs to treat you like he would any other client.
  • Options
    lorifrank2003lorifrank2003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I paid $1400 for photography & $1250 for videography & was very pleased with the results! I got both from Christopher Brock, he was fantastic :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    600 bucks for good photography?  multiply that by 4 and you have the average price...  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards