Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Is there such thing as professional wedding photos for less than $200 total?

I am just tempted to have everyone take pictures instead of hiring a photographer geez its like a down payment on a house. I am a college student delivering pizza.  Photographer prices I have found are whack! Anybody in Daytona Beach Florida in school for photography, has a camera,  is willing to take develop and give me pictures of my wedding and dinner, I will pay you 150 and get you drunk when youre done. Let me know i check this daily.

Re: Is there such thing as professional wedding photos for less than $200 total?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You would probably have better luck posting this on your local board since everyone on here is from all over the place.  Good luck!
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wedding photography is expensive cause all of the equipment together with cameras, computers, storage, website (and maintenance), amount of hours spent processing, etc. all equal the amount of a house in some areas. i know our equip alone totals around 49k.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is no such thing as PROFESSIONAL wedding photos for less than 200 unless a friend or family member is giving you a special deal. For that price you will get an amateur with a semi-professional camera who doesn't really know how to use it but will get lucky with a handful of "decent" shots. Things like the kiss, the cake cutting, the first dance, could be missed or come out bad because an amateur won't know how to change their settings quickly and successfully.
    My dad was a wedding photographer and the way he explained it to me is this:
    one wedding is at least 1 weeks worth of work (depending on the number of hours shot and albums, etc). For someone who just shoots weddings, they would only make 200 a week (400 if they book both weekend days). That is hardly enough to even survive on, let alone pay for their equipment and insurance and website.
    It sounds like the best thing for you to do is hire a student who will charge next to nothing and give you better results than just everyone taking pictures with the cameras and phones.
    Good luck, HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

You can try craigslist.  Definitely you can find there some student, or a semi-amateur photographer who is working on his/her portfolio.  Of course, the quality is not guaranteed at all, but with a very limited budget it may worse to try.  Just remember you want keep those memories for whole your live (hopefully)) and you get what you pay for it, right? The rates from professional photographers start from $1000 for 6-8 hours, and it is not because we are so greedy, there is a reason for it.  First, yes, it is because of an equipment cost (I had to shoot two weddings to buy my new portrait lens for example), but also it how much more time we spend doing marketing and postproduction, usually it is 5-6 times longer than 6-8 hours that we spend shooting actual wedding.  Sorry, but we basically don’t have a lot of choices - to charge you a little more than $200, or to find another job.

• Options
    tally7tally7 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you may have some luck with a friend with a really nice camera and then just ask for the digital images and print them yourself
  • Options
    LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    try craigslist and cross your fingers;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all of the above. I find it offensive that people post things like this on here. Photographers are amazing people that capture moments on film and bust their ass the entire day to get every moment possible. Then the editing, time & efforts that go into producing the final outcome is excessive. 

People just don't know the detail, time & cost it takes to be a Photographer. 
  • Options
    Jaime E.Jaime E. member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    Jaime E.Jaime E. member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards