Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

What are some questions one should ask a Photographer?

In the process of looking for a photographer with my sister. What are some good questions to ask them when interviewing them?   Thanks

Re: What are some questions one should ask a Photographer?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    When hiring a photographer there are some standard questions that you should ask...

1. To see examples of their work printed. I know this sounds simple but seeing printed work instead of viewing it online is a big difference!

2. What is included in the package pricing, for example is it all day or by the hour? How many photos will be re-touched? If we want more re-touched what is the pricing?

3. Are they part of Professional Photographers of America? This is a nation wide organization, that also has local chapters that strive on continuing education for photographers and also provided insurance protection if anything (God forbid) happens to your photos or equipment that would not allow the photographer to photograph the wedding.

4. What is their style and personality? Does it fit with yours and what you are looking for? Always try to find a photographer that you "click" with. You'll be more relaxed on your wedding day and the photos will come out even better!

5. And ask them to walk you through the day, the timing needed for the everything, timing of devliery of photos after the wedding, and anything else they think they should mention.

You can read a little more about finding the right photographer for you on a guest blog that I did at: http://invitationsbyajalon.com/blog/tag/rhonda-giedt-photography/

Good luck in your search!!!

Rhonda

• Options
    KATERS882KATERS882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     Hi,

I asked similiar questions to Rhondas plus the following questions.  I asked them quite of bit of questions but I'm glad I did.

1.      Find out the prices of the albums or if they have any packages that include the albums?  Does it cost more if you decide you want an album later on?  What is the cost to add extra pages to the album?  Do they limit the number of edits or changes you can make to the layout of the album? 

2.       Do they have online ordering for your guests?

3.       Do they offer a discount if x amount of pictures are ordered through them?  We came across some photographers that would give you a $100 off your package or future purchases after the wedding if x amount of pictures were ordered.

4.       Do they have back up photographers and if so, how many back up photographers compared to how many weddings they schedule?

5.       How soon do they release the rights to the photos?

6.       Will you get to meet your actual photographer before the wedding?  Some people this matters to and some it doesn’t.  Some companies will charge you to meet your photographer.

7.       How much experience do your photographers have on average?

Hope this helps.

Kate

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_questions-one-should-ask-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:acb20b0f-c025-444c-8b0b-ba301b4979bfPost:f8442750-30c6-4ff5-b7c4-3e58e5f350a5">Re: What are some questions one should ask a Photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When hiring a photographer there are some standard questions that you should ask... 1. To see examples of their work printed. I know this sounds simple but seeing printed work instead of viewing it online is a big difference! 2. What is included in the package pricing, for example is it all day or by the hour? How many photos will be re-touched? If we want more re-touched what is the pricing? 3. Are they part of Professional Photographers of America? This is a nation wide organization, that also has local chapters that strive on continuing education for photographers and also provided insurance protection if anything (God forbid) happens to your photos or equipment that would not allow the photographer to photograph the wedding. 4. What is their style and personality? Does it fit with yours and what you are looking for? Always try to find a photographer that you "click" with. You'll be more relaxed on your wedding day and the photos will come out even better! 5. And ask them to walk you through the day, the timing needed for the everything, timing of devliery of photos after the wedding, and anything else they think they should mention. You can read a little more about finding the right photographer for you on a guest blog that I did at: <a href="http://invitationsbyajalon.com/blog/tag/rhonda-giedt-photography/" rel="nofollow">http://invitationsbyajalon.com/blog/tag/rhonda-giedt-photography/</a> Good luck in your search!!! Rhonda  
    Posted by photosbyrhonda[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Agree with everything but the PPA thing...  That's an association that anyone can join, simply by paying the membership fee.  Do NOT let that enter into your decision making process...</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Make sure you find out if the head photographer is shooting the wedding, or if they send an associate. 

Also ask what their policy is if the photographer you hired falls ill or cannot otherwise make it to the wedding. Do they provide a backup? Who is their normal backup? The odds of the photographer breaking his leg aren't great, but just in case, you want to know what the backup plan is.
  • Options
    maisery22maisery22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One that mine told me that I didn't even think about was what do the photogs wear to the wedding.  A Tux? or do they go the ninja route and wear all black.  They also like to know how visible they should be.  Should they be in your face or hiding and getting all those candid photos?  My FI hates getting his pic taken so when we're done with the posed things our guy's going to have to be the ninja in a tux.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards