Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Officiant?

Hey guys. My fiance and I aren't getting married in a church - with neither of us being particularly religious, and families with different beliefs from one another, we aren't wanting a super religious ceremony. However I feel like our parents will expect some religious element.. We attended a friend's wedding last year whose officiant acknowledged the presence/blessing of God in their service, but mostly framed the ceremony around the couple themselves.
SO, long story short, how do we go about finding an officiant in Dallas who meets this criteria? Will all ministers require a completely religious ceremony? Please send any suggestions my way!

Re: Officiant?

• I woud suggest checking out Love Notes - clicky. You can customize the ceremony to how you want it. They do have pre-set ceremony types (Traditional, Civil, etc), but you can pick and choose the aspects of one or more ceremony types that you want, or even add in something of your own. So for example you could have a Traditional address but non-religious vows. That's very easy for them to do. They do not require you to have a religious ceremony on any level.

The rest of the girls should have some suggestions too! =)
  • We used Diane Robertson and loved her! http://www.revrobertson.com/

She customized to what we were feeling and was an absolute doll!
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • We are in your same exact situation.  My fiance and I are very spiritual and pray together on a regular basis, but with differing familial religious backgrounds, we opted for a more civil ceremony.  God will be mentioned as well, but not one specific belief.  Our friend is officiating our ceremony.  If you have a friend who is close to both yourself and your fiance, you can ask them to be your officiant.  They can do this online, and it is legitimate legally.
    Anniversary
  • I used Jason McClaren and he was great at fitting our beliefs into the ceremony. Though he's not as 'charasmatic' as some other officiants I've seen, we loved that the focus was on us the entire ceremony, and not our officiant.
    Also, super professional.
  • I second Love Notes, and I'll point out that I think Marty (and maybe Ari?) is a favorite on this board.
    Anniversary

• We are using Tina Long. We met with several officiants and just didn't get the right vibe. She is so laid-back and sweet and was definitely willing to customize the ceremony to however we wanted it to be. 

Anniversary
  • We are also using Tina Long.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Third for Tina :) My wedding is the latest one posted on her FB wall :) https://www.facebook.com/Weddings.by.Tina.DFW
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    We had an interfaith ceremony--my husband is Jewish.  We used Marty from Love Notes and we could NOT have been happier.  Love Notes will do anything you want, but they are expensive. 

Any of the above referrals would most likely work.  Any paid officiant should tailor the ceremony to your tastes.  They are being paid to perform a wedding ceremony, not to act as spiritual advisors.
  • Thank you so much everyone! I will look into all of these suggestions! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards