Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Student Photographers.

Just curious, how many people are willing to take a risk on student photographers at a major school (that have solid portfolios), but no experience in weddings?

Re: Student Photographers.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I might if it were someone who had experience working as an assistant to a photographer.  If not, then no.  I've done little research into wedding photographer and there is a lot that goes into it.  Of course they need to know how to do some posing and directing.  They have to make sure that they don't miss important moments.  They have to know when to use the flash.  And when the flash is used, they have to know how to use it properly.  Also, professionals have good equipment and backup equipment.  They have to know how to edit the work.  Lastly, professionals have people on call to shoot your wedding if some kind of emergency came up.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Goldie's points. Plus a student might not have the high end gear a pro has, and with no prior wedding experience won't be able to anticipate all of the movement and lighting changes through out the day. They may have good posed pictures in their portfolio, but a wedding is 8 hours of moving subjects that they cant ask to sit still and pose all day. Plus a professional not only has backup photographers, but they have back up gear and insurance as well.

I just wouldnt be willing to risk it, but then again the photography is VERY important to me. Maybe save some money and have a student do your engagement pics?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As a Photography student, there is no way that I would ever offer to do a wedding without any prior "shadowing" under my belt. It's irresponsible, for starters. There is so much to photographing a wedding besides a solid portfolio and entry level equipment. 
    It's not even about editing and knowing all the basics (flash, exposure etc), it's about weddings being a whole other animal where you have to be 50 places at once, and get everything right the first time. It would be like running a marathon without ever attempting to work out or even stretch first.  
    If you do decide to go with a student, make sure you see a full session, preferably engagement or another event, of 100+ pictures, that are all correctly exposed and color balanced (meaning no green or orange skin tones). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards