Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

How much should a photographer cost?

I emailed over 20 photographers and the cheapest quote that I received was $3250 and that was without any photos or albums but just a DVD of photos and on-line viewing. THat sounds a lot to me. What is photography costing for everyone? Any suggestions on ways to find someone cheaper? Having a friend or family do it is not an option-that is if we want out heads in the photos. I am also afraid of getting a student cause how reliable are they? Just too many horror stories of brides never receiving their photos.

Re: How much should a photographer cost?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Cost is going to vary from region to region. That number is a about double what the average package runs in my area, but for Boston it may be the norm. I think you are on the right track in your research. Keep searching out vendors and compare packages to get the best deal for your budget. I'd also post on your local Boston board (if you haven't already) to get a feel what your local ladies are paying. They may also have vendor recs for you to look into. Best of luck and happy planning!
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks. i live in Boston but the wedding in Manhattan so i can only imagine that Manhattan is probably the priciest in the nation :(  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG yes! I am in PA but have a few friends in the city who got married around the same time I did. I spent a significant amount of time on www.liweddings.com and their boards. You may want to check into that site for some additional vendor resources. The photog that shot my boudoir photos is based in Brooklyn. I know she was expanding her portfolio when she did my shots in 2008. Her contact info is in my bio if you would like to see if she's doing weddings currently. Best of luck!  Meg
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • Options
    inkulio73inkulio73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are a lot of cheap photographers out there.  The question is do you want good or cheap?
  • Options
    graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried contacting local art schools? There are tons of new photographers trying to build portfolios who would love to do your wedding for a fraction of the cost. They are still qualified and talented, just not quite as experienced. If you are ok with that, it can be a tremendous way to save money. For instance, an up-and-coming friend of mine is doing ours for $500 including e-pics and rights to all photos. While that price might not be feasible in your area, you may be able to find someone similar that wont break the bank. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    lorifrank2003lorifrank2003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know that the wedding photographer that I used travels the globe.  His rates are great and so is his work!  You might be able to come out in a happy price range with him even after paying his travel fee :)  www.chrisbrock.org
  • Options
    AnnaScarlettAnnaScarlett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our photographer works in Boston quite a bit I think.  her website is http://allisonmayer.com and I know you can get an album for less than your lowest quote.

Here in Chicago $3k is about average
  • Options
    lsnicks19lsnicks19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Two of my friends had Scott Metzger. I don't know how much he costs...but his photos were amazing!
  • Options
    brizzle145brizzle145 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Focus on quality and pay for the photographer you like the best. A good photographer's time is always going to be worth more than a bad one. NEVER skimp in this area!

From a So Cal bride and wedding photographer! ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should check out photography schools in the Manhattan area.  I am getting married near Boston and I am speaking w/ Photographers from New England School of Photography right now. (Students and Alum - it's a program they have set up there)  I am finding some AMAZING photographers (by looking through their portfolios) for around 2k.    It's worth a shot to see if the NY schools have a similar program as NESOP.  GL!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    3000 seems about right to me based on the quotes I've had in my area.   If there are good photographers from out of state that are significantly less expensive than the ones in your area, it might potentially be cheaper to pay for the photographer to travel.  (Like, if 4000 is the average for Manhattan but 2,000 is the average for Upstate NY, you might be better off getting the photog. a hotel room for the night in Manhattan). 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello! please check out www.RichFrederickPhotography.com One of The Boston Knot.com top Wedding Photographers! He does not charge by the hour. He is yours for the day, with all of your images on CD both in color and black and white with full rights to you for $1,900. I'm not sure where your wedding is located, but he might charge a small travel fee.

If you are interested in a custom hardcover wedding book designed he offers 2 options, both are beautiful! The 1st is $2,600 which also includes all of your images on CD. The 2nd option is a GraphiStudio book, hand crafted in Italy for $3,600 with all of your images on CD as well! 

You should email him Smile
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're getting married in the NY area you should absolutely look into flymetothemoonphotography.com. This guy did my good friend's wedding and the photos came out absolutely gorgeous, and she was beond thrilled. She asked him to shoot the wedding so that when she looks at the photos she can remember the whole day- and he captured every detail. She recommended him to me for my wedding too, and I'm 99% sure we're going with him. He charges about $2k for the NYC area and $850 for Central NY- his website has a wedding portfolio and all his info. He's even working a deal out with me for my VT wedding, which is quite a haul! Definitely worth looking into! 
    Good luck sweetie!
  • Options
    I am from the lehigh valley and am looking for photographer prices. May I ask what is the average base price in the valley?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards